You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SOLVED: Touch ID on Magic Keyboard not working on Mac when in Clamshell

I use my 13inch M1 Mac in clamshell mode hooked up to a monitor, mouse, and Magic Keyboard with Touch ID. It's worked great for a year but this week the TouchID stopped working on the Magic Keyboard and I had to open my Mac to use Touch ID.

To fix it I did the following and want to share in case it helps someone else:

1) On Mac: Settings>Bluetooth : "Forget this device

2) Unplug Keyboard from USB/Lightning

3) Turn off Magic Keyboard

4) Wait a minute

5) Plug everything back in

Touch ID works again... Yay!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 7:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 1:57 PM

All the Magic Keyboard Touch ID fixes I've seen all say essentially the same thing: unplug it, restart it, etc. The common thread I've noticed is that they all say to unplug the keyboard. This is a *wireless* keyboard! Did I miss the memo saying it's a requirement that the keyboard be plugged in with a cable in order to use Touch ID? And, by the way, I did tell my Mac to forget the keyboard in my Bluetooth settings, re-added it, and Touch ID worked maybe once, after which it went back to not working.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2023 1:57 PM in response to bob hope

All the Magic Keyboard Touch ID fixes I've seen all say essentially the same thing: unplug it, restart it, etc. The common thread I've noticed is that they all say to unplug the keyboard. This is a *wireless* keyboard! Did I miss the memo saying it's a requirement that the keyboard be plugged in with a cable in order to use Touch ID? And, by the way, I did tell my Mac to forget the keyboard in my Bluetooth settings, re-added it, and Touch ID worked maybe once, after which it went back to not working.

Apr 25, 2023 8:16 AM in response to bob hope

I will ask our moderators to move this to the Macbook Pro forums. You found instead a seldom-visited for for Apple hardware made before 1998.

Submissions here get fewer views than a "lost puppy" flyer posted on the inside of a sewer pipe!

You may wish to bookmark this site map for the various forum sections for future reference:

Site Map - Apple Community

SOLVED: Touch ID on Magic Keyboard not working on Mac when in Clamshell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.