Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CEC problem with 3rd Gen 4K

I recently switched from an Nvidia Shield Pro to the 2022 Apple TV 4K, and I am having a CEC problem:

I have a Benq projector and it expects to be turned on by another CEC device, and turn off the others when it is switched off. This worked fine with the Shield, but with the Apple TV (with CEC Enabled, of course) it will not turn on the Projector, nor will it go to sleep when the projector turns off. Anybody know why, and is there a fix? The Apple TV has the latest firmware installed.

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 9:22 AM

Verify the setting on Apple TV: Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Control TVs and Receivers﹥On.

If you can’t set it to On, then try disconnecting the HDMI cable on both devices. Else try restarting all HDMI devices in the setup.

Changing the connected device may have reset the CEC setting on the projector. Verify that CEC is still set as active.

There are no further options available.

the Apple TV is not responding in any way

Apple TV would be the commanding device, not the responding device.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 9:22 AM in response to k2ue

Verify the setting on Apple TV: Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Control TVs and Receivers﹥On.

If you can’t set it to On, then try disconnecting the HDMI cable on both devices. Else try restarting all HDMI devices in the setup.

Changing the connected device may have reset the CEC setting on the projector. Verify that CEC is still set as active.

There are no further options available.

the Apple TV is not responding in any way

Apple TV would be the commanding device, not the responding device.

Apr 25, 2023 8:13 AM in response to k2ue

Benq projector and it expects to be turned on by another CEC device

If you say so. That does not apply to all their models: e.g. HT3550, HT3550i, TK850i do not.

What is this model projector?

Apple TV (or any active CEC device) can send commands (suggestions) to wake or go to standby to other devices over HDMI, but it is up to those other HDMI devices (and their settings) if they will listen to that.

Feb 15, 2024 1:16 AM in response to k2ue

Came here with the exact same issue. Switch from 2019 shield pro to AT4k 2nd gen. Same cables, remote can control Yamaha sound bar, but won't give me the option to turn on the Control Home Theatre/TV option. CEC is active on my Samsung TV, but no luck. Worked on my shield, but a swap of devices using same cables had no success with the new device.

Have you found a solution? I ordered new cables but doubtful that would work.

TIA

CEC problem with 3rd Gen 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.