Calculate 0h durations in a timesheet?

My job requires us to turn in timesheets for each pay period and I am trying to turn it digital to make it a little easier. In the process, I have gotten Numbers to calculate the durations I need unless there is no time present. If I don't have a clock in/out present, the calculation is 0 rather than 0h and it throws everything off. I tried changing the cell format to duration but when I click off the cell and go back to it, it changes back to automatic. I tried doing an if statement in the function but if I try to type any duration into the function (i.e. 0h) it simply won't let me. Is there a way to get the calculation to default to 0h if there isn't a time present to calculate?

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 9:03 AM

There are various ways to deal with this problem but I like the one Apple provides in the 'Employee Schedule' template at File > New in your menu:

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),ISBLANK(D2)),DURATION(0),D2−C2)

This inserts a 0h Duration if either C or D are blank; otherwise it subtracts to Date & Times for a result in Duration.

Use ; instead of , in the formula if your regions uses , as the decimal separator.

SG

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 9:03 AM in response to tyc2010

There are various ways to deal with this problem but I like the one Apple provides in the 'Employee Schedule' template at File > New in your menu:

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(C2),ISBLANK(D2)),DURATION(0),D2−C2)

This inserts a 0h Duration if either C or D are blank; otherwise it subtracts to Date & Times for a result in Duration.

Use ; instead of , in the formula if your regions uses , as the decimal separator.

SG

Calculate 0h durations in a timesheet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.