iPhone 14 pro max overheating when USD 4G

Hi. I read many articles about iphone 14 pro max overheating. This problem also applies to my model. version 16.4.1. The problem occurs when restoring from the cloud. when restoring from a macbook, the problem also occurs. it's been a week since then. The phone on 4G warms up even when listening to music or się safari. 4 bar LTE signal. phone on wifi is cool. Background apps disabled and other things that can cause your phone to heat up. Needless to say, the battery drains very quickly.

Do your models also have 4G or are there models with a factory defect.

thank you.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 1:09 PM

14 replies

Apr 25, 2023 3:08 PM in response to tbol38

OK, the leather case might act as an insulator and restrict heat dissipation, so the iPhone gets warmer than it would without the case. This is not a problem unless you are seeing restricted operation and heat protection warnings from the iPhone, as described in If your iPhone or iPad gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support

As mentioned above, your iPhone is designed to self protect if it gets too hot. Are you getting protection warnings on the iPhone screen?

Exactly how hot does the iPhone (without the case) get? Can you hold it in your hand for more than 30 seconds, or is it so hot it will burn your hand?

Apr 25, 2023 1:54 PM in response to tbol38

Warm and overheating are two completely different things. When you charge your iPhone, stream music or video's, or do software restores or updates, you can fully expect the phone to become warm. You're pushing the battery harder and batteries get warm when being used. That's normal.

Overheating is something completely different. When an iPhone overheats, a thermometer appears on the screen and you are advised to let the phone cool down before continuing to use it. iPhones are protected from thermal failure and actually warn you if the internal temperature goes beyond its normal range. From what you've written, this is not your situation. Your situation seems to be the concern you have something's wrong because the phone is getting warm and it's actually normal for the phone to get warm in the situations mentioned above.

Apr 25, 2023 1:43 PM in response to tbol38

Your report doesn't give much detail about how warm your iPhone gets, or how fast the battery drains. Some real temperature numbers would help, or at least a clear indication like whether you see temperature warnings, or something like the whole phone is too hot to touch. (Compare with things like your coffee mug?)

You were doing some fairly intensive work for the processor and radios. I would expect an iPhone to get warm in this kind of usage particularly if you have it in some kind of case. If you are working the radios hard they will get warm, maybe even what you consider to be 'hot'. Same for battery life, I would expect faster than average drain if you are working it hard with intensive tasks.

You say you have read about overheating on the internet, and you think you have the same problem. Stand up for your own opinions, don't let others influence you. Let me assure you every case is different. Nobody else was doing your backup restore. Nobody else was streaming the same music, on the same cellular signal. Make your own judgements and describe what you see with your own eyes and feel with your own fingers.

Apr 25, 2023 1:53 PM in response to tbol38

tbol38 wrote:

Thx but it was first what I did. But it not helped. I moved from iPhone 13 Pro ( I did not have any problem with overheating). Do you recommend a visit to the Apple service?

I recommend you should review the Apple support document linked by sberman, and consider how much might apply in your case. My opinion from what you have said so far is that your phone is perfectly normal and although it is getting warm in use that is not the same as overheating.

Several very experienced users have suggested what you are describing is normal. I agree with them but it is your decision if you think you should take your iPhone for a Genius Bar inspection. Personally, before I rush to a decision I would continue to use the phone for a few weeks and notice whether the battery life is long enough to complete regular daily activities.

Apr 25, 2023 1:56 PM in response to Branta_uk

Ok so for example: iphone 14 pro max 256 black with leather case - is cool when use Apple Music (normal quality sound), same YouTube 4K etc on Wi-Fi

I turn off Wi-Fi and use 4G (full signal) is warm/sometimes hot in few minutes when I use Apple Music or YouTube 4K (no at the same time). When I stop play music everything’s back to normal (I reinstall all apps an cache etc)

so I understand how work 4G and Wi-Fi and signal (processor etc) but it’s not normal that different about temperature is so significant

I also have no problem with the temperature of the phone when charging on wifi.

Apr 25, 2023 3:54 PM in response to tbol38

And streaming using cellular as opposed to good and strong Wifi is more power intensive. I would expect your phone to be warmer streaming using cellular as opposed to streaming using a good Wifi signal.

Truly, you are being concerned, when it doesn't seem concern is warranted. But you are concerned and since you are, it doesn't seem what we're telling you will make you feel less concerned. Instead of asking us users for our thoughts, when you may not be relieved by what we're telling, it would be advisable to take this off a user to user only forum and have your phone checked out at your Apple Store Genius Bar. But don't be surprised when any test they run will likely show there is nothing wrong with your iPhone.

Apr 25, 2023 6:17 PM in response to tbol38

Wi-Fi consumes 30 milliwatts (mw) when it is connected. 4G consumes a minimum of 50mw, and up to 600 mw, depending on signal strength. That is, a weak signal can force the phone to increase its power over 10 times over a strong signal, and even with a strong signal cellular data requires more energy than Wi-Fi. On top of that the cellular radio is less efficient than Wi-Fi, so there is more wasted energy, and wasted energy is heat.

Apr 27, 2023 4:39 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thx all for help. I found solution (it helped in my case).

I restored again all from a backup (from Macbook and finder) and I erase all configuraion (network, etc).

After all this, I reinstalled additional applications such as apple music or youutube.

Now I don't have any problem warm iphone 14 pro max (using several applications at the same time, when before the phone was warm, now even on 4G it is cool)) . Battery performance has improved significantly.

If somene has same problem can do the same like me or configure Iphone as new (don't use backup).

iPhone 14 pro max overheating when USD 4G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.