Can't login with password to macbook pro

I am helping a friend who was deleting some files and sudo stopped working for him. He reset his computer and can't log back in. First he gets-

rest password using apple id credentials

I enter this in and hit reset password. Then I get:

If you can change the password for this user account, you will create a new keychain to store the user's passwords.
The users's previous keychain still exists. If you find the previous password, you can access the previous keychain and the information and passwords it contains

Then I hit OK... This now boots the computer into recovery mode

Inside recovery mode I get activation lock message-

if you can't log in to your computer because you forgot your password you can reset it now

Here is enter my apple ID which I have already checked on another computer works fine and enter my password (since I tried on another computer it should work)

Here is get the message - 

If you do not know the password for an admin user, the reset operations requires resetting the passwords of all accounts on the system.

I set a password for each user then hit next

I then get —

could not verify credentials because directory server does not support the requested authentication method...

From here I next logged in as another user on the computer and went to system preferences and groups and I was able to change the password for the user I was not able to get into, but I still can't log in. I've tried every type of reset as well.

Does anyone know of anything else I can try?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 6:40 PM

powwowapple Said:

"Can't login with password to macbook pro"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Login Password:

A. Creating and Changing the Password:

Make the password "password", and then change the password afterwards. Keep a handwritten copy of the password, storing it away in a location that only you are knowledgable of, and only you have access to.

B. Reset the Password Using the Login Screen:

You'd go through your Apple ID to perform this. Find out more here: If you Forgot your Mac Login Password - Apple Support. Make sure that caps lock is not enabled when typing it. No Success? Go here: If you can't Reset your Mac Login Password - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 6:40 PM in response to powwowapple

powwowapple Said:

"Can't login with password to macbook pro"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Login Password:

A. Creating and Changing the Password:

Make the password "password", and then change the password afterwards. Keep a handwritten copy of the password, storing it away in a location that only you are knowledgable of, and only you have access to.

B. Reset the Password Using the Login Screen:

You'd go through your Apple ID to perform this. Find out more here: If you Forgot your Mac Login Password - Apple Support. Make sure that caps lock is not enabled when typing it. No Success? Go here: If you can't Reset your Mac Login Password - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2023 11:18 AM in response to powwowapple

powwowapple Said:

"Can't login with password to macbook pro: Seems like this was a botted answer. Does anyone have a solution based on what I posted?

———-

Troubleshooting Mac Login Passwords:

There’s nothing botted about it. It’s just the way I format my replies. If you can’t recall the password, then you need to reset it.

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

Can't login with password to macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.