can an app-specific password for the specific app be used on both iMac and iPhone

Can an app-specific password for the specific app be used on both iMac and iPhone? For an example, Spark email on iMac and iPhone?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 10:20 AM

Hi buck1213,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

Once you have created the app-specific password, you can sign in to the app on your various devices and depending on the app settings, you may be asked to save it in iCloud Keychain.

Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2023 10:20 AM in response to buck1213

Hi buck1213,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

Once you have created the app-specific password, you can sign in to the app on your various devices and depending on the app settings, you may be asked to save it in iCloud Keychain.

Regards.

Apr 27, 2023 10:41 AM in response to buck1213

buck1213,

Thanks for the additional details. There isn't a way to go back and copy the password if you do not have it written down or saved anywhere. You would have to revoke the password from the specific app and then recreate the password. Save it in order to sign in on other devices with the same password.

How to generate an app-specific password
1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.
2. In the Sign-In and Security section, select App-Specific Passwords.
3. Select Generate an app-specific password or select the Add button Blue plus sign icon., then follow the steps on your screen.
4. Enter or paste the app-specific password into the password field of the app.

How to revoke an app-specific password

You can have up to 25 active app-specific passwords. If you need to, you can revoke passwords individually or all at once.
1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.
2. In the Sign-In and Security section, select App-Specific Passwords.
3. Select the Remove button A minus sign inside of a circle. next to a password you want to delete, or Revoke All.
After you revoke a password, the app using that password will be signed out of your account until you generate a new password and sign in again.
Any time you change or reset your primary Apple ID password, all of your app-specific passwords are revoked automatically to protect the security of your account. You need to generate new app-specific passwords for any apps that you want to continue using.

Regards.

Apr 27, 2023 10:26 AM in response to ASTRO24

Sorry, I may not have provided enough details. I have Spark installed on my iMac and propose to install Spark on my iPhone. Since there's already been an 'app-specific' password created for the Spark installed on the iMac, can that same 'app-specific' password be utilized again for the Spark installation on the iPhone? If so, how do I obtain the actual 'app-specific' password created initially for the Spark installed on the iMac? Thank you...

can an app-specific password for the specific app be used on both iMac and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.