Charging problems after iPhone 12 Pro update to iOS 16.4.1

Updated my iPhone 12 Pro to iOS 16.4.1 a couple days ago, and something immediately went wrong with charging. Nothing in my routine--use or charging--has changed and my same cables etc. continue to charge AirPods without problem. A screenshot showing the problem is included below. Note that last night, the phone indicates that it was being charged and the screen was off through the night. The phone was in fact left on my desk, powered on and plugged into charging, as has always been my habit. Yet the battery charge percentage continued to decrease through that period. Why? Are others very suddenly after the iOS update having the same problem?

In the iOS update, has Apple intentionally restricted charging with non-Apple cables (which I am using)? Or, is this just one of the several bugs I am noticing in 16.4.1?

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 5:52 AM

No idea about that.

If you already tried (to no avail) all the steps provided in this support article:--> If your iPhone or iPod touch won't charge , for you peace of mind I suggest that you contact Apple Support directly, using this link:--> Get Support or make an appointment (*) and have your device+charger+cable inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> https://locate.apple.com/choose-country-region . After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

(*) You can do it:

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2023 5:52 AM in response to kccmc

No idea about that.

If you already tried (to no avail) all the steps provided in this support article:--> If your iPhone or iPod touch won't charge , for you peace of mind I suggest that you contact Apple Support directly, using this link:--> Get Support or make an appointment (*) and have your device+charger+cable inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> https://locate.apple.com/choose-country-region . After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

(*) You can do it:

Apr 26, 2023 9:10 AM in response to kccmc

One more clue that the phone is not the problem ... the phone charges normally (as it always has) when I use an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable to charge the phone from my plugged-in laptop. So I ma back to fearing that, with the 16.4.1 release, Apple may have intentionally disabled charging with non-Apple cables.

Apr 26, 2023 9:23 AM in response to kccmc

kccmc wrote:

One more clue that the phone is not the problem ... the phone charges normally (as it always has) when I use an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable to charge the phone from my plugged-in laptop. So I ma back to fearing that, with the 16.4.1 release, Apple may have intentionally disabled charging with non-Apple cables.

Maybe yes or maybe not, I'm not able to confirm this, since we, just users like you, are not aware of Apple decisions.

Regards

Giulio

Charging problems after iPhone 12 Pro update to iOS 16.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.