Is there a good Apps that Apple Recommends?

Ive always been led to believe that Apple does not need malware or antivirus, clean up apps or organizing apps.

I am more concerned with apps like CleanMyMacx or Mac keeper cc cleaner, which are pushed so hard through ads everywhere, if the above mentioned apps are not good for Mac OS as said by Apple Top Level Commenters. why would they be in the App Store when all high end & well respected commenters frown on adding any program that modify Mac OS.

1) Can Someone from Apple confirm is this a fact / Do MBPro's need a cleaning App?

2) If yes what does Apple Recommend any Cleaning APP?

I am very interested in next question:

3) Does Apple recommend any App remover to remove everything all files with the unwanted App?

Im looking Top level commenters opinion and for Apple to respond or do you ask apple elsewhere??

Been reading these apple communities since 2012 and never here Top Level ever recommend Those Programs.

im trying to get rid of old apps and files from my 16" 2021 MBPro M1 Max that were transferred over and getting rid of old apps and their files from my mid 2012 15" and my 2015 13"

that is my main objective getting rid of useless junk.

Thank you

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 8:23 AM

bikeman5 wrote:

Ive always been led to believe that apple does not need malware or antivirus, clean up apps or organizing apps.
1) Can Someone from Apple confirm is this true?

Correct. Apple is a company it has no use for such things, companies don't get viruses.

Devices like Macs and iPhones have all the protection they need. There is no virus or malware that can affect an iPhone.

I am more concerned with apps like CleanMyMacx or Mac keeper which are pushed so hard through ads everywhere, if the above mentioned apps are not good as said by Apple Top Level Commenters for the Mac OS why are they in the App Store?
2) Does Apple Recommend any Cleaning APP or is it not needed?

No, Apple recommends none of those apps, and no, they are not needed. They are in the App Store, because they are offered by there developers on there, and unless they actually violate Apple's terms of service for the App store, Apple would not unilaterally remove them. Apple is not in the business of dictating which app should or should available except if they violate their terms.

Seems like all high end & well respected commenters frown on adding any program that modify Mac OS.
3) Does Apple recommend any App remover?

Also no. In general, most apps don't need a remover. They can either be easily dragged to the trash, or removed directly from the Launchpad or using their own uninstaller. Only poorly written apps require further work to completely remove them if they install parts of themselves in locations other that the Applications folder in Finder, And in many cases things like CleanMyMac won't even do anything to remove them, and can remove other things that are necessary for the correct functioning of the Mac. Also, apps like CleanMyMac have bene proven time and time again to slow down performance and cause the computer have issues and major problems.

Im looking Top level commenters opinion and for Apple to respond or do you ask apple elsewhere??

Apple will not directly respond here. It's unlikely Apple will respond directly about this in any way anywhere outside of an official press statement if its ever required for some reason.

Been reading these apple communities since 2012 and never here Top Level ever recommend Those Programs.

Correct, they are unnecessary.

im trying to get rid of old apps and files from my 16" 2021 MBPro M1 Max that were transferred over and getting rid of old apps and their files from my mid 2012 15" and my 2015 13"

Drag files and standalone packaged apps to the trash, and use the app's own uninstaller if they have any to remove them. If there's something let after that, then manual deletion of whatever is left is the best option.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2023 8:23 AM in response to bikeman5

bikeman5 wrote:

Ive always been led to believe that apple does not need malware or antivirus, clean up apps or organizing apps.
1) Can Someone from Apple confirm is this true?

Correct. Apple is a company it has no use for such things, companies don't get viruses.

Devices like Macs and iPhones have all the protection they need. There is no virus or malware that can affect an iPhone.

I am more concerned with apps like CleanMyMacx or Mac keeper which are pushed so hard through ads everywhere, if the above mentioned apps are not good as said by Apple Top Level Commenters for the Mac OS why are they in the App Store?
2) Does Apple Recommend any Cleaning APP or is it not needed?

No, Apple recommends none of those apps, and no, they are not needed. They are in the App Store, because they are offered by there developers on there, and unless they actually violate Apple's terms of service for the App store, Apple would not unilaterally remove them. Apple is not in the business of dictating which app should or should available except if they violate their terms.

Seems like all high end & well respected commenters frown on adding any program that modify Mac OS.
3) Does Apple recommend any App remover?

Also no. In general, most apps don't need a remover. They can either be easily dragged to the trash, or removed directly from the Launchpad or using their own uninstaller. Only poorly written apps require further work to completely remove them if they install parts of themselves in locations other that the Applications folder in Finder, And in many cases things like CleanMyMac won't even do anything to remove them, and can remove other things that are necessary for the correct functioning of the Mac. Also, apps like CleanMyMac have bene proven time and time again to slow down performance and cause the computer have issues and major problems.

Apple will not directly respond here. It's unlikely Apple will respond directly about this in any way anywhere outside of an official press statement if its ever required for some reason.

Correct, they are unnecessary.

Drag files and standalone packaged apps to the trash, and use the app's own uninstaller if they have any to remove them. If there's something let after that, then manual deletion of whatever is left is the best option.

Apr 26, 2023 7:07 PM in response to Phil0124

Thank you it is just as I suspected, it is as what I thought, you see so much stuff that they appear to be apple supported sites, just like on expensive eggs they put hormone free on the carton, when in actuality all eggs are hormone free, it is illegal to give chickens hormones in the US, makes it hard for a consumer. So many video Makers out there pushing these product as good for apple like they got apples blessing.

it was more curiosity and looking for way to improve an already awesome Mac. I watch what id say is a lot of reputable videos, many are pushing those products and a ton of performance apps, I figured it is how the video maker earns some money running an ad like it isn't an add. I am not gonna worry about anything. Just gonna let Apple do it's thing and ill keep using apple devices, ive got several 3 MBPros, 5 iPhones, 2 iPods and an iPad, I like small phones like the loved my 12 mini got 13 mini now also, no need for pods with iPhone, don't like the iPad Loved my 2012 15", got a 2015 13" to travel, it did not work out that way I still used the 2012, now I Got 16" 2021 M1 Max 2tb 32gb Ram. I was getting these pop up ads from Safari, they were made to look like notifications from the system, I had thought I had malware, Ran a scan and my 2021 is clean, after that i figured out it was a pop up from safari, I had to quit Safari reload New Safari window. prob solved. I used Malware bytes then deleted it because nothing was found I was still getting those pop ups, I also added Malwarebytes Browser Guard. Prob don't need that. Scan tool I used was Zap Anti Virus Scanner. I was gonna dump Zap, I do however have a duplicate file finder app for finding exact match photos which ive got tons, I dump my phones photos and sometimes many of the same photos get downloaded again.

I love big MBPros and small iPhones, got 3 Apple TVs as well. Bought 4 new Time Capsules, 3 2Tbs & 1 3Tb in 2015, Just retired one 2Tb for the 2012 after using it 8 years before it started acting up, using another new 2Tb & the 3TB on the new 2021. I still Have 1 left in the box new if something happens.

Thanks again Phil for you time and suggestion, just the reassurance i need

Thank you again

Is there a good Apps that Apple Recommends?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.