Helping return found AirPods/AirTags

The reason I'm posting this is because there's a bunch of old posts here with people asking how can they reach out to the owner of the found AirPods/AirTags and all the answers were: you can't, apple won't help you, return things to local law enforcement or local lost and found.

While you certainly can do the latter, contrary to these old posts, there is the way to reach out to the owner of the found AirPods/AirTags. In "Find my" app, under the devices tab there's a blue font item called "Identify Found Item" (it's a second to last, just above "Items Detected With You").

If you tap on the "Identify Found Item" thing, it will display the list of AirPods/AirTags found near you which do not belong to you. I don't know if they are sorted by the strength of the signal, so doing it in a public place is a nightmare, in my case there were 10+ AirPods listed there. If there's just one, that's the one you found and if you follow instructions from the app, there's a button which takes you to an Apple web-site where the owner can leave a message with the phone number/email address.

In my case they replied within minutes and the Air Pods Pro were returned to the owner within 24 hours of being reported lost.

I'm hoping these instructions will eventually be displayed before the old posts.

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 12:28 PM

I connected to the air pods and changed the name of the airpod to my phone number or some sort of contact info so if they look on thier "find My" to track it they will see it and contact me.

Seems like the only option to communicate. They should have a notify owner button

14 replies

Feb 19, 2024 5:42 AM in response to stangri

@stangri- much appreciate the post. Latest version of iOS and "Find My" - running 17.3.1 had the "Identify Found Item" blue text under "Items" at bottom of app.

It found the Airpods I was hoping it would find, but when it directed me to the website, I got an error that the website is "Not Found"...

Posting this on 19Feb2024, has something changed?

Feb 14, 2024 5:09 PM in response to stangri

Thanks. Yeah, I had given up until I found your comment. I was able to then find the owner of some lost AirPods. Once I followed your instructions, their phone number came up. However, it was not visible on the AirPod case (it looked like ***-***-1234). But I then tried the same steps and clicked on one of the AirPods (the left one). The full phone number was visible for that. So just to be clear, there were three lost items associated with one set of AirPods: (1) the case; (2) the left AirPod; (3) the right AirPod. So you may need to check all three to get the contact info.

Mar 25, 2024 10:10 AM in response to stangri

Thank you for this post!

We found airpods in a gutter and out of battery. Now that they've been charged, Apple is telling me about my "unidentified item." I followed the directions in Find Me, and over the course of two days I keep getting this message. "Could Not Find Items"

Anyone run into this before? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Helping return found AirPods/AirTags

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.