You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues updating macOS

I'm trying to install an app (Slack), but I seem to need the latest Catalina OS. I currently have macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6 (it took me a while to create space on my MacBook for larger updates). When I attempt to install the Slack app I get the error message "This update requires macOS version 10.15". But when I attempt to install Catalina OS 10.15.7 I receive the SAME error message: "This update requires macOS version 10.15". Any idea how I can get around this? Seems like a catch 22. Also please note that my App Store does not suggest I update my OS, it simply has 4 incompatible app updates that aren't OS.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 8:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 8:33 PM

Back up your data, check the application compatibility table, click here, and if your MacBook Pro is a 2012 or newer model, then on the download link for it. The file you found is an updater and can't be used for a full-version upgrade.

Catalina and above won't run 32-bit software; if you choose one of them, use Go64 as well.

(238722)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 26, 2023 8:33 PM in response to Empatto

Back up your data, check the application compatibility table, click here, and if your MacBook Pro is a 2012 or newer model, then on the download link for it. The file you found is an updater and can't be used for a full-version upgrade.

Catalina and above won't run 32-bit software; if you choose one of them, use Go64 as well.

(238722)

Apr 26, 2023 8:33 PM in response to Empatto

You have downloaded an OS update from Apples downloads section. Those are intended for manually updating the OS already installed. You need to upgrade your OS from High Sierra.

How to Upgrade  macOS:

The macOS version you can upgrade to depends on the year your Mac was released.

Click the  (Apple) menu at the top of your screen and choose About This Mac.

Check the Compatibility of your Mac with newer versions of macOS:

➡️ macOS 10.15 Catalina is compatible with the Macs listed here

❗️ – IMPORTANT – None of your 32-bit apps will work in macOS Catalina or newer. This includes MS Office apps and any other older software apps and drivers. These will require that you find 64-bit updates and/or replacement titles.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

Use the free utility Go64 to check the compatibility of your apps:

https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

✅ - IF your Mac is compatible, then download the macOS upgrade installer app:

Click > Catalina.

Once downloaded, double-click the “Install macOS…” app in the Applications folder to begin the upgrade.

Please see > How to download macOS.

Issues updating macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.