Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Refurbished MacBook Pro is registered to a previous owner

I have purchased a refurbished MacBook Pro from Apple and find that it is still registered to a previous owner. How can I override that to get access to my machine?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 11:31 PM

7 replies

Apr 29, 2023 3:16 AM in response to pomum

It is indeed unsettling to hear that, and your experience is indeed a first.

Apple's refurbishment process is described here: Why Refurbished - Apple, but I noticed some minor changes slipped into it recently.

For example the previous language "... full testing that meets the same functional standards as new Apple products" has been replaced with "... a rigorous refurbishment process that includes full functional testing."

I will amend my future guidance accordingly.

Apr 29, 2023 12:06 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you John. It's worse than useless, causing considerable inconvenience. The problem is that the refurbished computer is still registered on the Apple server to the previous owner. Having erased the hard disk and downloading a new version of macOS Ventura the machine still reverts to the previous owner. Official Apple Support did their best and their help was appreciated but the problem is beyond the normal call of duty.. Others need to be aware that similar problems may not be with the machine but with the Apple Server still storing the previous owner's information.

May 5, 2023 10:41 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks you for your helpful reply. I'm very pleased to say that I have had a very happy outcome after returning the refurbished MacBook and buying the latest 14'' model with an M2 Pro chip. I received excellent support from the Genius Bar at the Canberra ACT store and received a full refund for the refurbished computer. I received the new model on the spot. This was your first recommendation. Apple support has been marvellous. Highly recommended!

Refurbished MacBook Pro is registered to a previous owner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.