Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do I know when it's time to replace my MacBook?

How do I know when it's time to replace my MacBook? It's from 2017 and is a Retina model.

MacBook, macOS 13.0

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2023 6:58 PM

Finnalla339 Said:

"How do I know when it's time to replace my MacBook?: How do I know when it's time to replace my MacBook? It's from 2017 and is a Retina model."

-------

Determining Mac Replacement:

A. When to Replace it?:

When you no longer want to troubleshoot with it. I still have my 2018 MBP, and will keep using it, because it has an Intel processor. Many things just won't run on a Silicon chip.

B. Time-Limitation:

Note that Mac devices typically are supported for 7 years, and then updates for them are no longer available. So, getting a much newer Mac --one that is 5 years old or less is best, IMO.

C. Purchasing Third-Party Macs:

Avoid being Scammed: When purchasing from private party, have the seller go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support. That is the site the seller needs to use prior to selling it to you. So, prior to handing over the money, make sure that you can sign in to iCloud on this account, prior to handing over the money. If the seller decides to disabide by those rules you've set forth, then do NOT proceed with the transaction.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2023 6:58 PM in response to Finnalla339

Finnalla339 Said:

"How do I know when it's time to replace my MacBook?: How do I know when it's time to replace my MacBook? It's from 2017 and is a Retina model."

-------

Determining Mac Replacement:

A. When to Replace it?:

When you no longer want to troubleshoot with it. I still have my 2018 MBP, and will keep using it, because it has an Intel processor. Many things just won't run on a Silicon chip.

B. Time-Limitation:

Note that Mac devices typically are supported for 7 years, and then updates for them are no longer available. So, getting a much newer Mac --one that is 5 years old or less is best, IMO.

C. Purchasing Third-Party Macs:

Avoid being Scammed: When purchasing from private party, have the seller go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support. That is the site the seller needs to use prior to selling it to you. So, prior to handing over the money, make sure that you can sign in to iCloud on this account, prior to handing over the money. If the seller decides to disabide by those rules you've set forth, then do NOT proceed with the transaction.

How do I know when it's time to replace my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.