Would a series 3 Apple Watch eventually not hold a charge for a full day anymore? Does it mean I need to replace the watch?

My Series 3 Apple Watch is not making it through the day on a single charge. Is it time to replace it or is there a battery replacement? I am using my Apple charger. Thx

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 7:06 AM

Batteries are consumable parts and eventually, they wear out. Assuming you have your watch updated to WatchOS 8.x.x, you can check its battery health, by opening the settings app on your Apple Watch and swipe up from the bottom of the page until you see Battery. Tap it and check your Battery Health. If it is close to or below 80%, the battery has used its useful life.

You can pay Apple for an exchange watch (Apple doesn't actually replace batteries in Apple Watch), which will be a refurbished watch of the same model and color for a fee.

Personally, given that the Series 3 watch is now quite old and cannot run the latest WatchOS versions, I would be more inclined to trade it in and use the trade value towards the purchase of a newer, more modern Apple Watch.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2023 7:06 AM in response to Suecmom

Batteries are consumable parts and eventually, they wear out. Assuming you have your watch updated to WatchOS 8.x.x, you can check its battery health, by opening the settings app on your Apple Watch and swipe up from the bottom of the page until you see Battery. Tap it and check your Battery Health. If it is close to or below 80%, the battery has used its useful life.

You can pay Apple for an exchange watch (Apple doesn't actually replace batteries in Apple Watch), which will be a refurbished watch of the same model and color for a fee.

Personally, given that the Series 3 watch is now quite old and cannot run the latest WatchOS versions, I would be more inclined to trade it in and use the trade value towards the purchase of a newer, more modern Apple Watch.

Would a series 3 Apple Watch eventually not hold a charge for a full day anymore? Does it mean I need to replace the watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.