MacBook Air M2 keep turning on automatically

Hi there. How to avoid MBA M2 to turn on automatically?

I've recently bought a MBA M2 16GB 1 TB and it is running Ventura.

I want to turn in off (it did, but if I even blink and take more than some seconds to close the lid, it turns on again

But when turned off, and next morning I open the lid, it turns on automatically.

I've tried 2 or 3 commands using Terminal, but it didn't work - no way - it keeps turning on automatically.

I want to, for example, clean the screen and the keyboard - all the experts in cleaning electronic devices say "do it with your machine turned off". Nice if I could turn it off....

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 9:41 AM

avalanche88 wrote:

I want to turn in off (it did, but if I even blink and take more than some seconds to close the lid, it turns on again
But when turned off, and next morning I open the lid, it turns on automatically.
I've tried 2 or 3 commands using Terminal, but it didn't work - no way - it keeps turning on automatically.
I want to, for example, clean the screen and the keyboard - all the experts in cleaning electronic devices say "do it with your machine turned off". Nice if I could turn it off....
Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

It is considered a feature... lift the lid it boots.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Put your Mac to sleep or wake it - Apple Support

To be proactive you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

To clean the screen/keyboard simply use Control Command Q to lock the screen/input. Turn the volume off it offends your sensibilities.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2023 9:41 AM in response to avalanche88

avalanche88 wrote:

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

It is considered a feature... lift the lid it boots.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

To be proactive you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

To clean the screen/keyboard simply use Control Command Q to lock the screen/input. Turn the volume off it offends your sensibilities.

Jul 28, 2023 1:59 AM in response to avalanche88

As other have already mentioned, lifting the lid will automatically turn on the machine - Apple Designed it that way

On my M2 or M1 MBA to clean the screen .

Dis-attach any and ALL externals, then power down and keep the Lid UP.

Extra care not to touch or even look at the keyboard ( humour here )

Commence the Screen Cleaning process

Jul 28, 2023 1:52 AM in response to avalanche88

Is it considered a feature if it switches on with the top closed and the computer in its case. My brand new Macbook Air M2 has been doing this for the past 2 days. I switch it off, close the lid, put it in its case and if I disturb the case such as picking it up or putting it down) the computer restarts inside the case.

When I open the computer it has a black screen with a hard drive symbol and another symbol for emergency mode.

Yesterday it had restarted several times in its case and when I finally opened it I had to open in emergency mode and use disc utilities and use disc first aid.

I have an Apple watch which was set on opening the computer, I thought that was the problem. I switched that function off and left the watch at home. The computer is still starting itself.

Any ideas anyone?

MacBook Air M2 keep turning on automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.