Magic Keyboard - iPad Pro 12.9 - Caps lock key

I’ve had the Magic Keyboard for a couple of weeks now and the caps lock key is driving me crazy! Is it touch sensitive of purpose? It turns on all the time without even pushing the button. I’ll just be typing and my finger will graze it & it will turn on. I’ve tested it and sure enough, if I lightly touch it without actually depressing the button it will turn on and off. I’ve not read ANYWHERE that this is a normal feature so I’m assuming it’s not.

Any ideas on why & how to make it stop?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2023 12:25 AM

What you are experiencing with the Caps Lock key is NOT a feature. It sounds like the Caps Lock key, on your Magic Keyboard, is failing mechanically. When you depress a key, then it travels down to a predetermined distance and makes an electrical contact to start/stop the Caps Lock feature. The key’s travel distance is controlled mechanically. The only way that it can be corrected is by separating the key parts from the keyboard and then replacing the damaged part(s) or by dislodging anything that may be caught in between the contact and the underside of that key.

I recommend that you contact 👉 Official Apple Support OR you can always get your iPhone examined at the Apple Store 👉 Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options or at an Authorized Service Center for further diagnosis and a resolution.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2023 12:25 AM in response to Laurennwilliams

What you are experiencing with the Caps Lock key is NOT a feature. It sounds like the Caps Lock key, on your Magic Keyboard, is failing mechanically. When you depress a key, then it travels down to a predetermined distance and makes an electrical contact to start/stop the Caps Lock feature. The key’s travel distance is controlled mechanically. The only way that it can be corrected is by separating the key parts from the keyboard and then replacing the damaged part(s) or by dislodging anything that may be caught in between the contact and the underside of that key.

I recommend that you contact 👉 Official Apple Support OR you can always get your iPhone examined at the Apple Store 👉 Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options or at an Authorized Service Center for further diagnosis and a resolution.

Axel F.

Magic Keyboard - iPad Pro 12.9 - Caps lock key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.