iPhone and iPad unsynchronized text messages

Why am i getting some text messages on both but other texts only on my ipad? i tried changing it to receiving and sending only on my phone number and not my apple id but it keeps sending messages to my ipad and not my iphone randomly.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 9:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2023 12:49 AM

If iPad has another Apple ID then you need to check which iPhone is sending messages to the Apple ID.

Messages on iPad are forwarded through an iPhone.

1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
  2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.

Since you said the same iMessages is not on your iPhone there are only two possibilities

1. The messages are deleted on your iPhone. Enable  Guided Access before handing over an iPhone to kids
  2. The message is forwarded from another iPhone to Mac/iPad which uses the same Apple ID but a different Phone number. Please call the person who sent you the messages and get confirmation about the phone number to which the messages are being sent.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2023 12:49 AM in response to ipadgirl101

If iPad has another Apple ID then you need to check which iPhone is sending messages to the Apple ID.

Messages on iPad are forwarded through an iPhone.

1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
  2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.

Since you said the same iMessages is not on your iPhone there are only two possibilities

1. The messages are deleted on your iPhone. Enable  Guided Access before handing over an iPhone to kids
  2. The message is forwarded from another iPhone to Mac/iPad which uses the same Apple ID but a different Phone number. Please call the person who sent you the messages and get confirmation about the phone number to which the messages are being sent.

iPhone and iPad unsynchronized text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.