Photos won't import RAW

When I try to import photos to the Photo Library on my mac from a sims card taken RAW on my new OM-1 camera they will not display. JPEGs work, but not RAW. This was not a problem with previous Canon camera, I always shoot RAW, and I am using the same sim cards. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Apr 30, 2023 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2023 7:21 AM

Which system version is running on your Mac? Are you using the Olympus OM-1?

The RAW format of this camera is supported on macOS 13 Ventura: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 16, iPadOS 16, and macOS Ventura - Apple Support

but not on macOS 12 Monterey or older system versions: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey - Apple Support

If your Mac is not yet running Ventura, you should upgrade to macOS 13, if possible.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2023 7:21 AM in response to sandifromiola

Which system version is running on your Mac? Are you using the Olympus OM-1?

The RAW format of this camera is supported on macOS 13 Ventura: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 16, iPadOS 16, and macOS Ventura - Apple Support

but not on macOS 12 Monterey or older system versions: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey - Apple Support

If your Mac is not yet running Ventura, you should upgrade to macOS 13, if possible.

Jan 8, 2024 10:16 AM in response to sandifromiola

Apple hasn't yet added the newest Olympus cameras to their compatibility chart despite being available for at least a year. Here are the workarounds I have found:

On desktop - import your photos using the (free!) Adobe DNG converter - this will convert your ORF files to DNG raw files which can then be imported into Apple Photos.

On ipad/iphone - the only solution I've found to date is to use lightroom to import the photos. This ultimately performs the same function as the converter (above) but requires you to have an Adobe CC subscription - I got the cheapest option I could find (lightroom for mobile only at 5.99/month). once you've converted the pics you can move them into your apple photos library on your phone/ipad.

Hopefully apple will get the compatibility issue sorted at some point!

Jan 8, 2024 10:44 AM in response to sandifromiola

Oh - I know. I have the OM-5 which is still not supported. I just got a brand new MacBook a few months ago so it's got all the latest software. Unfortunately, I had to also replace my Olympus camera last summer because my old OMD-EM-Mark ii decided to stop working correctly in the middle of a trip to a whole bunch of national parks, which is how I discovered this lovely issue.

(it made it through the trip, but only because the "issue" was that it wouldn't turn OFF anymore so I had to constantly remove the battery to not run it down)

Jan 8, 2024 10:45 AM in response to Yer_Man

oops - this was meant as a reply to you!

Oh - I know. I have the OM-5 which is still not supported. I just got a brand new MacBook a few months ago so it's got all the latest software. Unfortunately, I had to also replace my Olympus camera last summer because my old OMD-EM-Mark ii decided to stop working correctly in the middle of a trip to a whole bunch of national parks, which is how I discovered this lovely issue.

(it made it through the trip, but only because the "issue" was that it wouldn't turn OFF anymore so I had to constantly remove the battery to not run it down)

Photos won't import RAW

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.