How to change my profile name and photo?

I'd like to change my profile name and photo in the apple community when posting questions or answering. There doesn't seem to be an option for the name change and the only change available for the photo is preselected avatars. Mine is a very old picture and my profile name is no longer relevant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 30, 2023 10:00 AM

11 replies

Apr 30, 2023 10:46 AM in response to fizzie_gillespie

To be able to use a custom avatar you must achieve Level 3 which I believe is at 500 points. As far as changing your Apple ID name I don't think you can do that. I've seen it done only in extreme cases, like where someone was being stalked and the like. They don't do it lightly.

Since you're only a Level 1 at this stage you could try creating a new Apple ID with the name you'll like. But you would need another email address. You would also lose any apps or music you've purchased under the old Apple ID but could sign in to the App Store with the old ID to get updates for those apps.

Apr 30, 2023 10:43 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

I currently have a personal photo as my profile picture. Not sure how I got that.

Maybe the rules for profile pics changed since I picked that one about about 15 years ago.

I may just keep my current pic and try to be more active in the community to reach level 3.

Really appreciate your swift responses that were very helpful.

How to change my profile name and photo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.