Safari Icon opens the messages app....

2020 MacBook Pro 13" - after latest Ventura update, the Safari icon on my desktop opens the messages app....I've rearranged the icons in my bottom bar, but clicking the Safari icon still defaults to opening the messages app...I have to finder search Safari in order to open it. This along with a host of other Venture bugs has me quite perplexed.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 30, 2023 11:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2023 4:38 AM

Drag that Safari icon out of the Dock.

Use the Dock on Mac - Apple Support

• Remove an item from the Dock: Drag the item out of the Dock until Remove is shown. Only the alias is removed; the actual item remains on your Mac.

Then, open the Applications folder and launch Safari by selecting that icon and File > Open.

Open apps on Mac - Apple Support

• Click the Finder icon in the Dock, click Applications in the sidebar of the Finder window, then double-click the app.

Safari will launch and its icon will appear in the Dock. Drag that icon to some other place in the Dock, where it will remain even after you quit Safari or restart the Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2023 4:38 AM in response to andycyphert

Drag that Safari icon out of the Dock.

Use the Dock on Mac - Apple Support

• Remove an item from the Dock: Drag the item out of the Dock until Remove is shown. Only the alias is removed; the actual item remains on your Mac.

Then, open the Applications folder and launch Safari by selecting that icon and File > Open.

Open apps on Mac - Apple Support

• Click the Finder icon in the Dock, click Applications in the sidebar of the Finder window, then double-click the app.

Safari will launch and its icon will appear in the Dock. Drag that icon to some other place in the Dock, where it will remain even after you quit Safari or restart the Mac.

Safari Icon opens the messages app....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.