BAD REQUEST

Need help on how to fix the following issue:

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu) Server at 10.146.196.49 Port 80

V/R,

John

Posted on May 1, 2023 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2024 11:37 AM

I have investigated this with some sites where it has occurred. The consistent reply from service reps at those sites is, "Oh, you're running Safari, try it with Chrome." That invariably works. So does Firefox. The current thread and these site-specific responses make me think it's something to do with Safari, maybe the privacy settings? The sites are accessible to people running brand X browsers (sorry, Mozilla). Anymore info on this will be helpful.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2024 11:37 AM in response to SemperFi7

I have investigated this with some sites where it has occurred. The consistent reply from service reps at those sites is, "Oh, you're running Safari, try it with Chrome." That invariably works. So does Firefox. The current thread and these site-specific responses make me think it's something to do with Safari, maybe the privacy settings? The sites are accessible to people running brand X browsers (sorry, Mozilla). Anymore info on this will be helpful.

May 1, 2023 7:15 AM in response to SemperFi7

Refer to https://httpwg.org/specs/rfc9110.html#rfc.section.15.5.1

Possible causes involve incorrect DNS entries, invalid website data, using a VPN (don't), very slow connection speed possibly due to multiple routers, among others.

If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected - Apple Support has a number of suggestions. Also try clearing Safari's history and / or website data.

Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Manage cookies and website data in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

May 1, 2023 7:57 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks John! I’ve been periodically clearing my history/website data on a particular website I frequently visit. Works for a couple of days before the annoying message pops up again. Only occurs on CBS Sports Fantasy Baseball site I maintain for our league. Will just continue to clear my history/website data. Thanks again for the advice!

May 1, 2023 8:47 AM in response to SemperFi7

👍

It happens even on this site (Apple Support Communities) from time to time, but it is very infrequent and Apple is constantly making changes to it. Plus I use access this site from so many different devices and from so many different locations any attempt to identify a definitive cause is futile.

However, when it occurs, I manage to recover by clearing only Safari's recent history — the past hour, for example. Next time it happens, instead of clearing its complete history, try that.

BAD REQUEST

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.