Mac is very slow and possibly overheating

My 2019 Macbook Pro (16 GB RAM) is constantly being slow, and the fan is very often running on high which tells me something must be going on.

I've tried everything from scanning it with an antivirus (Avast) to running First Aid and clearing files to make space on the disk, and it still has issues. I've seen similar questions bringing up that at least 50 GB of free space is necessary to run smoothly (which I find very annoying, but there's not much I can do about it). And granted, I am currently only at only around 20 GB of free space, but it was doing the exact same for the past several months even when I freed 100 GB.

Recently, even running discord has been a headache. While scrolling through an unread channel, I'll get the 404 loading screen for a while and my mac will be lagging for a dozen seconds. I'm not able to play a game as simple as Minecraft anymore (even of very low graphics) despite previous, much less powerful Macbooks I'd owned having been able to run it smoothly. I mostly use Opera GX for a browser these days, and opening new tabs is sometimes met with the same amount of CPU (I assume it's CPU) drain. Most of the time, I only having a couple tabs open, granted one of those is generally a paused YouTube video and there might be a social media website like Facebook or Tumblr, but overall, the tabs are inactive and Opera GX is supposed to optimised CPU use.

Note, I am very much keeping my OS up to date. There is currently an update available, but this has been a problem for several months now and no update has solved it so far.

If anyone has any idea how to fix it I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.2

Posted on May 2, 2023 9:09 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 2, 2023 10:05 AM in response to John Galt

Hi, yes, I realise just now I didn't specify this in this question but very much did in another I asked simultaneously about another issue (launchpad rearranging itself) and the laptop being slow was even worse in safe mode. It actually barely ran then, and took several seconds to go between pages of launchpad despite zero apps running other than finder…

Also, I have just finished installing the software update and the laptop is still lagging.

May 2, 2023 4:28 PM in response to Nierninwa

I've tried everything from scanning it with an antivirus (Avast)

That alone can cause performance issues.

The Mac needs no outside help in keeping itself safe, clean, and optimized. When you fall for those third-party hacks, you introduce interference into the elegant and automated maintenance and protection routines you paid Apple to build into the OS.

May 2, 2023 5:10 PM in response to Allan Jones

Yeah, uh, honestly I can't remember what prompted me to download it. I think it might have been when my grandma clicked on a phishing email, but it could also have been the fact that I was getting just too many spam emails and didn't want one sneaking through and I saw online extra security wasn't unwarranted. It's not like Macs are always safe from viruses. Actually, I think it might be because my mac was slow that I wanted to check it for viruses in the first place.

So yeah, the lag is nothing new. I very much had that issue before I even thought of downloading Avast. But hey, I'll give a shot at disabling it every now and then, especially when I try to run something like a video editing software or video game.

Mac is very slow and possibly overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.