Slow to load thumbnail icons on IMAC / Ventura

Hello,

I have a relatively new imac / Ventura and the thumbnail icons (psd, png, and AI files) load very slowly and sometimes don't appear at all. It's so frustrating. How do I fix this?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 2, 2023 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 6:44 AM

I found the solution in my case on High Sierra and it might be the same on other OS versions.

The problem was a huge memory usage by QuickLookUIService.

Open Activity Monitor and select MEMORY then click on the MEMORY column at the top left. Set the direction to ^. If QuicklookUIService is using a large amount of memory it will be near the top. Just Force Quit this "Service". It will start again with less memory being used.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2023 6:44 AM in response to Randall_2023

I found the solution in my case on High Sierra and it might be the same on other OS versions.

The problem was a huge memory usage by QuickLookUIService.

Open Activity Monitor and select MEMORY then click on the MEMORY column at the top left. Set the direction to ^. If QuicklookUIService is using a large amount of memory it will be near the top. Just Force Quit this "Service". It will start again with less memory being used.

Slow to load thumbnail icons on IMAC / Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.