Weather app set to Cupertino

The Weather app on my Mac is set to Cupertino, CA. But I live in Turlock in the Central Valley of California. The weather is vastly different between the two cities, even though they are about 66 miles apart straight west. Has a method been developed to change the city on this app?

iMac 27″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 2, 2023 1:01 PM

3 replies

May 2, 2023 1:35 PM in response to IDKwhattonameit

If location services are active on your Mac the Weather app will know where it is and properly display the city you live in. Location services on a Mac is tricky because Macs don’t have GPS access. A Mac must be connected to WiFi for location services to determine its location (by using other networks in the area to triangulate). You can have both Ethernet and WiFi active at the same time on a Mac.

That’s how I have my Mac Studio set up and it knows here it’s at. The Weather app on my Mac Studio always displays my correct location.

May 2, 2023 1:30 PM in response to IDKwhattonameit

Quit the Weather app. In Ventura Settings > Privacy & Security panel > Location Services > enable Weather. You may need to enable Wi-Fi for finer-grained Location Services results. When you next launch the Weather application, it will pop a dialog requesting permission to use your current location. Clicking OK should then open the Weather application with Turlock weather.

The Apple Weather widget from the right-menu bar click (if you have enabled that widget) will allow you to set a location via right-clicking on it, and choosing Edit "Weather". It too operates via Location Services and you may see a Location entry with a blue hyperlink "My Location." Click that link, and then Done. That Weather widget should show Turlock weather.

May 2, 2023 1:13 PM in response to IDKwhattonameit

Click on the date in the Mac menu, then click on the Weather widget to open the Weather app (or use search to open the Weather app). Click on Search on the top right corner of the Weather app and search for a city and the click Add.

Another option is to click on the sidebar icon at the top left of the Weather app if the sidebar isn't displayed and then click My Location to display weather at your current location.

You can delete Cupertino by going to the sidebar and control click on Cupertino and then click Delete.

Weather app set to Cupertino

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.