Files and folders open themselves

Often I return to computer to find files and folders have opened themselves, typically files and folders I seldom use.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 2, 2023 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 7:00 PM

Nonni1957 Said:

"Files and folders open themselves: Often I return to computer to find files and folders have opened themselves, typically files and folders I seldom use."

-------

Troubleshooting Opening at Login:

A. Try Safe Mode:

Boot in Safe Mode, and then restart. In safe mode, login items do lot open at login, and system issues are often fixed. Go Here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

B. Remove Unneeded Login Items:

If an app is opening at login, then recently-opened files may be opening with it. So, remove and items from the Login Item list...

1. Go to:  System Preferences > Users & Groups > User Name > Login Items
  2. Select: an Item
  3. Click: the “—“ button
  4. Approve: of the removal in the popup window.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2023 7:00 PM in response to Nonni1957

Nonni1957 Said:

"Files and folders open themselves: Often I return to computer to find files and folders have opened themselves, typically files and folders I seldom use."

-------

Troubleshooting Opening at Login:

A. Try Safe Mode:

Boot in Safe Mode, and then restart. In safe mode, login items do lot open at login, and system issues are often fixed. Go Here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

B. Remove Unneeded Login Items:

If an app is opening at login, then recently-opened files may be opening with it. So, remove and items from the Login Item list...

1. Go to:  System Preferences > Users & Groups > User Name > Login Items
  2. Select: an Item
  3. Click: the “—“ button
  4. Approve: of the removal in the popup window.

Jun 19, 2023 6:39 PM in response to Nonni1957

Nonni1957 wrote:

Often I return to computer to find files and folders have opened themselves, typically files and folders I seldom use.

In general it is recommended—

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

all known to cause issues on the macOS

You can good look at your User/System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Files and folders open themselves

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.