Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio dropouts when recording in Logic Pro with Scarlett Solo USB interface

Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble with audio dropouts when recording vocals in Logic Pro and was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot the issue. The vocals will record fine for a few measures but then drop out at specific parts. It's as if the volume of a particular note is causing it to drop, and there's a hum and sometimes a crackle with the absent note. Additionally, I'm not getting any sound when recording guitar, which just started happening.

I've already tried using two different mics and cables, attempted takes in low-latency mode in Logic, and ensuring that the recording is enabled for channels. I even bought a new interface, but the issue persists.

I'm using a Scarlett Solo USB interface for input and output on my 2020 M1 Mac Mini and only using one channel of the third-party plugin Nectar 3 by iZotope.

Here are my audio settings:

1/O Buffer Size: 128;

Resulting Latency: 11.6 ms Roundtrip (5.7 ms Output);

Processing Threads: Automatic (Recommended);

Process Buffer Range: Medium;

Multithreading: Playback & Live Tracks;

Summing: High Precision (64-bit);

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing these audio dropouts and how I can fix them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Mac mini, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 2, 2023 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 6:30 AM

I've recently stumbled upon the solution! It's an unusual hidden setting that can be accessed through the media control menu located in the top right corner of the screen.

By navigating to "mic mode" and changing it from voice isolation to standard, the issue is resolved. It was surprising to discover that the setting was automatically applied, without any notice, when I updated my computer.

This explains why the audio would cut out when recording loud sound. What's even more perplexing is that "mic mode" isn't included in the system settings, but rather is a small, inconspicuous button in the media control panel.

Unfortunately, this frustrating bug has caused significant setbacks and financial expenses. In my confusion, I purchased new equipment, attempting to rule out faulty hardware. My projects were brought to a complete halt for 2 days. However, now that the issue has been resolved, I'm relieved to be able to get back on track.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2023 6:30 AM in response to ScottVasky

I've recently stumbled upon the solution! It's an unusual hidden setting that can be accessed through the media control menu located in the top right corner of the screen.

By navigating to "mic mode" and changing it from voice isolation to standard, the issue is resolved. It was surprising to discover that the setting was automatically applied, without any notice, when I updated my computer.

This explains why the audio would cut out when recording loud sound. What's even more perplexing is that "mic mode" isn't included in the system settings, but rather is a small, inconspicuous button in the media control panel.

Unfortunately, this frustrating bug has caused significant setbacks and financial expenses. In my confusion, I purchased new equipment, attempting to rule out faulty hardware. My projects were brought to a complete halt for 2 days. However, now that the issue has been resolved, I'm relieved to be able to get back on track.

Dec 28, 2023 5:52 AM in response to ScottVasky

Thank you. I lost a whole day of recording because my mics, including the built-in MacBook one, would only give sporadic sound into GarageBand. I could record fine with Quicktime no problem. On my computer there was an orange mic icon in the top menu of the MacBook where the Wifi, energy level, and Spotlight icons reside. Just switched it back to Standard as you suggested. I'm not sure when they put that there or why, or how it got switched, but it caused me to lose a lot of time searching for answers. Thanks again.

May 3, 2023 4:36 AM in response to ScottVasky

Hi,

I use an old Scarlett Solo with no issues.

Here are a few suggestions based upon the info you provided:

1) Make sure the Scarlett is connected directly to the computer and not through a USB Hub. This is a leading issue with recording issues on USB.

2) If your project is being saved to an external drive move the project to the internal drive. This eliminates and issues with drive latency.

3) Increase the buffer ( 256 , 512 ) and try again.

4) Turnoff Nectar while recording.

5) Freeze any tracks with soft instruments to reduce resources.

6) Make sure your version of Logix Pro X is up to date and running native. If you have plugins that need Rosetta, switch off Rosetta and test recording again.

If these suggestions do not help please report back with more info about the project and your complete hardware environment.

Jan 13, 2024 9:05 PM in response to ScottVasky

Thank you so much for this information! I appreciate it a lot.

I've recently updated my MacOS as well as my Logic Pro X and also installed some new plugins. But for a couple days I was just editing songs I didn’t really record anything also because my interface broke. So today I decided to buy a new interface and a new mic so I could do some karaoke with my family and I noticed that the mic audio was literally just cutting off randomly, when I tell you I literally tried everything I could to fix it. I even deleted the Logic Pro X and installed again, I deleted all my plugins and still couldn’t figure it out. I was about to go to the store and return all the brand new equipment I just bought lol.

You literally just saved me time and money! Apple y’all definitely need to fix this issue. I don’t think it really makes sense for it to be a different setting.

Audio dropouts when recording in Logic Pro with Scarlett Solo USB interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.