Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

what is the "add text form box" for?

When you open a PDF document from Files app on an iPad, there is a new tool icon in the toolbar. It’s a text box with a pencil in it. When you click on it, text is highlighted on the page and you have a pop up menu with two options - Add Text Form Box, and Add Signature.

I’d love to know if you can really add viewer-fillable text boxes to a pdf with this.

Any idea?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 2, 2023 9:33 PM

6 replies

May 2, 2023 11:33 PM in response to TheLittles

I’m sorry, but your answers are nonsensical. 

“I’d love to know if you can really add viewer-fillable text boxes to a pdf with this.”

This was the exact text of my question for the community. You seemed to have totally overlooked it in your answers. I am quite well-versed on the capabilities and limitations of editing PDF documents on an Apple Product. I was a trainer (Creative) for Apple for 10 years. 

And I’m not discussing Adobe Acrobat software, but Apple’s version of Preview for the iPad. Yet you keep referring to Adobe’s PDF format. 

The title of the menu for this “Add Text Form Box” is actually “Add Form Item to PDF”. A “Form” item is usually a viewer-fillable text box or other viewer-editable item on a PDF “Form”. 

I would appreciate it if you would either make sure you understand the question and refer to the screenshot and function in question before providing an “answer” or refrain from answering if you’re not well-versed on the subject being asked about. Thanks.  

May 3, 2023 2:56 AM in response to iPhoneImages

Obviously the tool to which you refer is native - and has absolutely nothing to do with Adobe products and Apps. So we can dismiss discussion of Adobe in its entirely…

Insofar as I’ve been able to determine, the Add Text Form feature that you see when viewing a PDF document from the Files App, is not yet documented within the iPad User Guide - and neither does there appear to be a supplemental Apple Support page that describes the feature.

However, experimentation demonstrates that the feature does pretty much as its title might suggest, in that the tool will insert an editable Text Form within a PDF page.

With this tool active in markup tools, tapping the blue “+” button (at bottom right) will drop a Text Form Box on the visible page - which can then be dragged to where you wish to place the text box. Once positioned, you can adjust the width of the box with the two drag-handles with which you should already be familiar. As long as the tool remains active, all inserted Text Form boxes are visibly highlighted - and are editable.

To insert or edit text with a Text Form box, simply tap the box to expose the editing menu; tap Edit to enter text within the box. You can now enter text (the default text style appears be Times New Roman), using the carriage return key to add an additional line, the Text Form Box expanding as additional lines are added. Tapping the screen anywhere outside the box ends text entry. You can continue editing by again tapping the box and selecting Edit from the menu.

At first this tools appears to limited in its capabilities, although there is more to explore…

If you tap the Markup button to expose the Markup Toolbar before enabling the Text Form Tool, the visible Markup Toolbar will change to show only those tools that are applicable - such as Text Style (Helvetica, Georgia, Noteworthy), text size slider and text colour-picker.

You should note that you may need to dismiss the keyboard to see the Markup toolbar to make selections. The UI for this feature is not particularly elegant - and requires a dance between selection buttons to select tools and edit the inserted Text Form boxes - but with practice is usable.

In summary, this feature might appear to be “work in progress”. Perhaps the feature will be refined over time - and eventually be documented by Apple.

May 2, 2023 10:42 PM in response to iPhoneImages

iPhoneImages Said:

"what is the 'add text form box' for?"

-------

You are welcome.

Q1. "how is it different from just adding a text box through Markup?"

A1. Things will be added to when they should be. If seen eleswise, the author would be a bit suspicious.

Q2. "why call it a 'Text FORM Box'?"

A2: PDF is "post data format", meaning one it is created, it cannot be changes by the reader of the file. So, it is named that because it is a textbook assigned by the author of the file. In the long-gun, that is just the way Adobe created the name of it.

what is the "add text form box" for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.