Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Gift Card not valid due to mismatched Serial IDs

Has anyone had this issue? I bought a card at CVS pharmacy and I could not upload it to my account. After 4 interactions with Apple for a total of 2 hours in chat and phone (where each time I have had to repeat all contact details and issue description) I am told that I need a receipt or I will lose the USD 100 even though it has been confirmed that the money is on the card. Is there a solution here?

Posted on May 3, 2023 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 9:39 AM

I bought a card at CVS pharmacy

I am told that I need a receipt

If you have purchased a Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card, you have received a receipt.

Contact CVS pharmacy and ask the receipt.

Anyone could say I have purchased a Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card, but then there must be a receipt.

See this Apple article:  If you can't redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card

If you can't redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card - Apple Support

Beware of -> About Gift Card Scams -> About Gift Card Scams - Official Apple Support

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2023 9:39 AM in response to cyrille74

I bought a card at CVS pharmacy

I am told that I need a receipt

If you have purchased a Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card, you have received a receipt.

Contact CVS pharmacy and ask the receipt.

Anyone could say I have purchased a Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card, but then there must be a receipt.

See this Apple article:  If you can't redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card

If you can't redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card - Apple Support

Beware of -> About Gift Card Scams -> About Gift Card Scams - Official Apple Support

May 4, 2023 8:42 AM in response to cyrille74

I am now told to go back to CVS

Report to CVS that you cannot redeem the Apple Gift card and request a refund.

If you still need help, get more help and assistant from Apple directly, see Contact Apple for support and service -> Contact Apple for support and service – Apple Support (UK) 

or Click here for more support and assistance from Apple Support.

We are also users of Apple products & services like you.

Jun 2, 2023 12:04 AM in response to cyrille74

but saw that my credit card balance has now been refunded by CVS.

👍 that is good news.

huge waste of time this has been

Secure with one click.

If you have a valid payment method on file, instead of buying or order an App Store & iTunes gift card, you can Add money to your Apple Account balance anytime, no gift card needed, see -> Apple Gift Card - Apple (UK)

Jun 2, 2023 5:38 AM in response to cyrille74

That indeed IS good news. 😀

My own “takeaways” from your recent painful experience and my own recent purchase:

1) Get an “Activation Receipt” if at all possible. (these printed-out at the Publix after an approx 15 sec additional delay)

2) Ensure that ALL serial numbers “Match” before leaving the store.

Annotated photo below shows “papers” from my own recent Gift Card purchase.

(top to bottom):

• Purchase Receipt
  • Activation Receipt
  • Gift Card
  • Gift Card Outer Wrap

May 29, 2023 10:26 AM in response to Raicya

Interesting observations:

Just yesterday, I purchased 2x Apple gift cards at a Publix supermarket.

While using the self-checkout lane, the “assistance needed” light started flashing as soon as I scanned the 1st card.

The attendant needed to come over and personally verify that the tamper seals were intact before the transaction could proceed.

I also received 2x separate “activation receipts” in addition to the regular purchase receipt.

Walmart on the other hand had none of these safeguards in-place. (at least not last month)

May 31, 2023 12:47 AM in response to Chattanoogan

There was no sign of tampering and yes I did open it myself. If one looks on-line this is not an isolated case. This is a faulty product. The balance payment shows on the card but Apple won’t credit my account. Furthermore if this had been fraudulent use, Apple would be able to see to which account that card was credited. I am being passed around two big corporations with weak customer support.

Jan 21, 2024 6:21 AM in response to cyrille74

YES!!.. So I ain't the only one!... Lol! I have 3.. $100 and 1.. $500 cards. Plus 2.. $100 cards from just after TG. Same issue! Spent a good 4bhoursbon the phone with probably 5 different people at least. Best person was the gentleman that suggested to lay the 3.. $100 gift cards out at the same time and take a picture. At least Apple is aware of the problem now.

Apple Gift Card not valid due to mismatched Serial IDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.