Time Machine backup to iCloud

Can I use Time Machine to back up my computer to Apple iCloud?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 3, 2023 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 11:42 AM

ksoudani wrote:

No, Backup disks you can use with Time Machine lists disks which can be used for Time Machine. ICloud is not listed as an option. It is a common misconception that iCloud is a backup option, but in reality it is primarily a syncing option.

Only iOS devices are available for backup, as explained in How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2023 11:42 AM in response to ksoudani

ksoudani wrote:

No, Backup disks you can use with Time Machine lists disks which can be used for Time Machine. ICloud is not listed as an option. It is a common misconception that iCloud is a backup option, but in reality it is primarily a syncing option.

Only iOS devices are available for backup, as explained in How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud.

May 3, 2023 12:22 PM in response to ksoudani

ksoudani wrote:
Thank you.
what is the difference between syncing and backing up? Can ICloud sync’s be used to restore a computer’s memory?

Please refer to What's the difference between a Sync and … which although dated provides a pretty good summary of the differences.

Another good reference is Intro to syncing your Mac and your devices.

Also try Cloud storage vs cloud backup vs cloud sync: what's the difference?

Time Machine backup to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.