Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

dark screen

why does is my camera black ?? every time i go on a app with a camera my camera screen is always pitch black

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on May 3, 2023 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 8:00 PM

keysha_222 Said:

"dark screen: why does is my camera black ?? every time i go on a app with a camera my camera screen is always pitch black"

-------

Troubleshooting a Black Camera:

Did this start after a recent update? If so, see the last item (D.)

A. Disable then Enable Cameara:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: Screen Time
  3. Tap: Content & Privacy Restrictions
  4. Enter: Keycode
  5. Tap: Allowed Apps
  6. Tap: Camera (So it is Green-Colored)

B. Restart iPhone:

Go Here: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

C. Are you Using a Case?

Make sure that the back camera is not covered(somewhat) - For note: the microphone part is located between the lens and the flash. So, make sure all is not covered.

as a last resort...

D. Restore form a Backup:

Have a backup of your iPhone prior to this occurrence? If you are not concerned with losing data, then restore your iPhone from a backup that was made when Wi-Fi was working. Prior to restoring, backup your iPhone, incase anything goes wrong with the restoration. If not backup, then know to always have one created prior to installing an update, to avoid things like this in the future. So, create a backup, prior to this restoration.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2023 8:00 PM in response to keysha_222

keysha_222 Said:

"dark screen: why does is my camera black ?? every time i go on a app with a camera my camera screen is always pitch black"

-------

Troubleshooting a Black Camera:

Did this start after a recent update? If so, see the last item (D.)

A. Disable then Enable Cameara:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: Screen Time
  3. Tap: Content & Privacy Restrictions
  4. Enter: Keycode
  5. Tap: Allowed Apps
  6. Tap: Camera (So it is Green-Colored)

B. Restart iPhone:

Go Here: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

C. Are you Using a Case?

Make sure that the back camera is not covered(somewhat) - For note: the microphone part is located between the lens and the flash. So, make sure all is not covered.

as a last resort...

D. Restore form a Backup:

Have a backup of your iPhone prior to this occurrence? If you are not concerned with losing data, then restore your iPhone from a backup that was made when Wi-Fi was working. Prior to restoring, backup your iPhone, incase anything goes wrong with the restoration. If not backup, then know to always have one created prior to installing an update, to avoid things like this in the future. So, create a backup, prior to this restoration.

dark screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.