You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook Pro Black screen

Its been like that for about a week now ive tried everything there is to try - somedays it starts up and lasts for a day before going black again at the enter password screen - everything is fine and working im 100% sure its the mac os Ventura 13 thats causing this issue in my mac and so many others too has anyone found a proper fix for this?

Posted on May 4, 2023 1:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2024 1:12 PM

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? My screen did the exact same thing - just goes dark or blank. It displays the logo at startup and shows login screen for an instant before going dark again. External display connected works perfectly fine and no other issues except the MacBook screen not displaying information correctly. It works with startup options and displays all of that fine, just not when booted into login screen. Genius bar trieed to revise then restore, but no change. They say it's a hardware issue but it seems to be software related as evidence by the symptoms noted.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 5, 2024 1:12 PM in response to _ARD_

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? My screen did the exact same thing - just goes dark or blank. It displays the logo at startup and shows login screen for an instant before going dark again. External display connected works perfectly fine and no other issues except the MacBook screen not displaying information correctly. It works with startup options and displays all of that fine, just not when booted into login screen. Genius bar trieed to revise then restore, but no change. They say it's a hardware issue but it seems to be software related as evidence by the symptoms noted.

May 5, 2023 8:55 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Having the same issue since the last security update. It’s the laptop screen only, if you’re attached to a second display in clamshell mode then it’s black, but opening the lid brings the external monitor to life, but keeps the laptop black.

This allows you to at least use the Apple menu to restart - which will fail - and then by selectively force quitting each app I think I’ve narrowed the culprit to Safari. Going to try avoiding it and see what happens.

Just posting in case this helps others.

May 4, 2023 10:04 AM in response to _ARD_

You said that sometimes it works, and at some point the screen goes black.

Obviously I meant to run the report when it does work. I may have misunderstood your problem, it seemed to me that when the issue occurs, you could restart your mac and it would then work. This does not mean that there is no problem - there certainly IS - but it means that you can run Etrecheck and post its report, so others (and not just me) could look into it and maybe spot some indication as to what is wrong.

If I misunderstood and you mean that the screen is permanently back - then either it does not even start, and you need to take it in to service, or it starts but shows no image. In that case, it is possible you might be able to use it if you attach an external display, as a temporary measure, to help further diagnose (and regain use of your mac, until the issue is resolved).

May 4, 2023 10:46 PM in response to _ARD_

the display IS on but isnt showing image, and no just restarting doesnt bring it back i was messimg around with resetting nvrams and stuff and on monday it turned back on but went back to a dark screen the next day and Still counting

the reason i believe its bcz of macOS is bcuz i have taken it to a support centre and they confirmed my hardware is 100% fine , and on other reports it mentioned that macOS Ventura 13 seems to be causing problems like these for a few of us

May 5, 2023 12:01 AM in response to _ARD_

I believe that resetting NVRAM does not apply to Apple Silicon macs, at least not in the same way as it used to work. They do not use the same “hold this key combination” at startup options as Intel macs.

Startup options like recovery, or safe mode, are reached instead by pressing and holding the power button when starting from a shut down mac. Does it not even display anything then?

M1 Macbook Pro Black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.