My macbook pro battery is not charging

I have found the solution to this problem and it’s quite easy. This fix is for MacBooks pro 2016 and later. If the SMC and PRAM reset don’t work then try this. Firstly check and make sure that the battery health is normal, not service recommended. If the battery health is normal then your battery doesn’t have any issue. It’s a software problem. Simply turn off your pc, leave for 1 minute then turn it back on I’m recovery mode (press command + R after pressing the power on button). Make sure your charger is plugged in. After opening recovery mode and choosing the language, proceed to disconnect your charger. Your pc will warn you that the battery is very low. Ignore it. It is a software error. Connect the pc to a wifi and open safari. Browse as much as u can until the battery completely drains out and the pc shuts down by itself (to know if the pc is fully drained after it goes off, try putting it on, if the low battery signal comes on, then the battery isn’t fully drained). After draining the battery, allow for 20 minutes then connect the charger and put it back on, the battery will now charge normally.

Posted on May 4, 2023 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2023 2:53 PM

I guess:

• Your computer may have temporarily paused charging to extend the life of your battery. This is normal and you can turn off this feature in Battery settings.
  • Your computer may be connected to a power source that gives it enough power to run, but not enough power to charge the battery. For example, your Mac might not charge when it’s connected to a low-wattage adapter.
  • Your computer may be running at a very high performance level that uses more power than the power source provides. For example, some apps—such as video editing software and video games—can require more power and drain the battery more quickly.
  • Your battery may be damaged or worn out. You can check the battery condition in the Battery Status menu or use Apple Diagnostics to test your battery.
  • Your charging cable, power adapter, or port may be faulty or dirty. You can try using a different cable or adapter, or clean the port with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.

If none of these solutions work, you can visit this guide, they mentioned 15 working ways to fix MacBook battery charging I hope it can help.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2023 2:53 PM in response to nde176

I guess:

• Your computer may have temporarily paused charging to extend the life of your battery. This is normal and you can turn off this feature in Battery settings.
  • Your computer may be connected to a power source that gives it enough power to run, but not enough power to charge the battery. For example, your Mac might not charge when it’s connected to a low-wattage adapter.
  • Your computer may be running at a very high performance level that uses more power than the power source provides. For example, some apps—such as video editing software and video games—can require more power and drain the battery more quickly.
  • Your battery may be damaged or worn out. You can check the battery condition in the Battery Status menu or use Apple Diagnostics to test your battery.
  • Your charging cable, power adapter, or port may be faulty or dirty. You can try using a different cable or adapter, or clean the port with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.

If none of these solutions work, you can visit this guide, they mentioned 15 working ways to fix MacBook battery charging I hope it can help.

Nov 7, 2023 4:43 PM in response to nde176

I also have this issue, and I managed to solve it in the past by fully erasing the disk and reinstalling the operating system. However, 1.5 months after the problem came back, and now this same approach doesn't work. Seems like apple is trying to do everything for me to buy a new Mac.

I've tried everything possible, including what you mentioned, and it doesn't work for me. I'm very sure the battery is healthy since I replaced it in June 2023, so it is for sure a software issue. It just happened overnight. Tried resetting PRAM and SMC with no results. When I try your approach, it simply shuts off because "it has no battery".

Does anyone have some other solution?

Jan 5, 2024 11:21 PM in response to nde176

I have a new MacBook M3 Pro Max only a couple weeks old (running Sonoma) and about four days ago I noticed it was not charging although it was plugged in. The battery had gone down to about 96 or 97%, depending on if I looked at the MacBook reading or coconut battery, which was a little lower. I do have it on high power mode although I've not used anything using a lot of processing. It stayed not charging for about four days and percentage only dropped down about 0.2% a day even when browsing, playing videos, downloading, and even processing a video in Final Cut Pro X. At that rate it would take my battery 400 days to get down to 20%. That's pretty good--maybe I should start a holiday based on that miracle. I temporary put high power mode to automatic but it didn't seem to help. I figured it was just part of the optimized battery process (although when I turned that off temporarily it didn't start charging) and it might take getting down to 93% before it started charging again, although after only two weeks it seems a little early for that. Also my maximum charge capacity is about 223 mAh over the design capacity, which is nice to see. However, about an hour ago I read another procedure, which is to unplug the charger from the power (because of limited wall outlets I have it connected to an extension cord), as it could be electrical noise in the circuit (I remember now this happened a few times to mid 2012 MacBook years ago when it wasn't plugged directly into the wall outlet). it says to leave it unplugged for 60 seconds, but I left it for about five minutes because I was doing stuff. When I plugged it in it still showed not charging but the battery percentage jumped up one percent. Then sometime in the next 10 minutes I happened to notice it was charging again and had gone back up to 100% already. so I'm not sure if it was the optimized charging program, or more likely some noise in the household wiring circuits that caused the problem. After it charged back up to 100% maximum charge capacity, when I opened a couple apps they asked for permissions again to use the microphone or access a folder, even though they'd already asked that when they were first opened days or a week ago. It seems like it's related to the battery charging problem. Anyone know why that might happen?

May 11, 2023 12:38 PM in response to nde176

If your MacBook Pro battery is not charging, there are several potential causes and solutions you can try:

1. Check the charging cable and adapter: Make sure that the charging cable and adapter are properly connected and not damaged. Try using a different cable and adapter if possible.
  2. Reset the SMC: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) can help resolve battery and charging issues. To reset the SMC, shut down your MacBook Pro, connect the power adapter, and hold down the Shift + Control + Option + Power buttons for 10 seconds. Release the keys and turn on your MacBook Pro.
  3. Check for software updates: Make sure that your MacBook Pro is running the latest version of macOS and that all software updates are installed. Updates can sometimes address battery and charging issues.
  4. Check battery health: Use the Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test tool to check the health of your MacBook Pro's battery. If the battery is failing, it may need to be replaced.
  5. Take it to an authorized service provider: If none of these solutions work, you may need to take your MacBook Pro to an authorized Apple service provider to diagnose and fix the issue.

In summary, if your MacBook Pro battery is not charging, check the charging cable and adapter, reset the SMC, check for software updates, check battery health, and seek help from an authorized service provider if necessary.

Mar 20, 2024 12:42 PM in response to nde176

How to get the battery to completely drain after it losing all of its charge? I still see the low battery icon when o press the power button on trying to turn it on. It’s been out of power for close to 24 hours. Just trying to follow the instructions listed about after SMC and PRAM work around didn’t change anything.

May 11, 2023 12:29 PM in response to nde176

Had exactly the same issue. Out of nowhere, the machine just powered off. 

After powering it up, with the power cable connected I was getting the red warning of low battery. 

No SMC, PRAM, whatever reset helped.

Used your instructions, but, because the battery was fully charged, I opted for using the machine playing a video (for it to not sleep) until the battery depleted. It uses more power than the recovery mode (of course, you should abstain to use it for productive work).

Thanks for your tip!

Nov 15, 2023 3:00 PM in response to xabier240

Hi Xabier,

I have the same issue.

It just happened when I disconnected from my monitor, for some reason.

I just replaced the battery in June 2023 as well.

The last time I just left the computer for two days, connected it to the charger and it ended up starting charging again.

Today, I got the problem again. It drained the battery I did not have much chance to do anything.

Jan 23, 2024 8:43 AM in response to nde176

Thanks very much. It works. I was having the same problem. It started in the afternoon while using. In the evening I realized that my MacBook had only 29% battery while it was on power adapter. I tried charge my other type c device with the power adapter. The adapter is fine. Then charged the device with the MacBook port. The device still charged. So, it’s neither the adapter or the charging port of my MacBook. Before going to the service, lucky I found this post and had a chance for one last try. And yes, my MacBook now charging. Thanks again.

Mar 9, 2024 8:22 AM in response to davidoliver-1

Thank you for the SMC fix. I only did that and all is well. Laptop is back to charging normally!

1. Reset the SMC: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) can help resolve battery and charging issues. To reset the SMC, shut down your MacBook Pro, connect the power adapter, and hold down the Shift + Control + Option + Power buttons for 10 seconds. Release the keys and turn on your MacBook Pro.

May 7, 2024 10:43 PM in response to nde176

Same issue with my Macbook Pro 2020 (with touch bar). Battery says normal, charger is okay because I was able to charge other devices with it, same goes for my connector, all working great.

This happened before when I upgraded to Ventura. It got fixed by resetting the SMC (control+option on the left side + shift on the right side with power button). It worked that time. I forgot it does that so I installed Sonoma two days ago. Right after installation, my batter just stopped charging.

I already tried resetting PRAM/NVRAM and SMC. I tried pressing control+option+shift (all on the left side) together with the power button for 10 seconds, no go. I also tried pressing control+option (left side) +shift (right side) together with the power button for 7 and 10 seconds, no go.

I already drained my battery, unplugged the charger, left it for over 20 minutes, plugged the charger back in, tried turning it on, still showing the same thing.

Somebody help please? 😭😭😭

Feb 10, 2024 7:51 PM in response to nde176

This worked for me as well. 2021 14" MBP M1 (Sonoma 14.3.1) stopped charging when the machine was on and would charge very slowly when turned off. I lost trust in taking my hardware to the Genius Bar because I've had them tell me that I needed to replace something in the past when it was just a software issue (I gave it a couple of days and the problem resolved itself somehow).

I'm very glad the instructions in this post worked but I'm also disappointed that I had to resort to this to troubleshoot my investment. Thanks for posting.

Mar 7, 2024 4:07 PM in response to xabier240

None of this advice helped and my battery is saying it is ‘normal’, I only replaced it about 6 months ago. Over the last year I’ve spent so much money on this laptop, replacing practically all it’s internal elements due to weird issues like this, where the battery won’t charge or is just shuts itself off randomly, or the USB port doesn’t work. I’ve replaced everything, including the battery, to the point where it’s a totally new laptop now. It worked fine for about 6 months after replacing the motherboard and now the battery won’t charge again. It absolutely feels like planned redundancy to me, as it’s clearly a software “bug”, none of the above solutions help me.

My macbook pro battery is not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.