iPhone needs an update prior to being activated

I'm trying to activate a new iPhone 12 and it says that it needs an update prior to being activated. How do I do this?

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12

Posted on May 4, 2023 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 3:22 PM

Thank you kindly for your reply, jpmaynes.

There is no way that I know of to update a brand new iPhone without first connecting to wi-fi, ready for activating. and then updating it. If you purchased the iPhone in an Apple Store, (or even elsewhere), you may want to make a reservation and get help from the experts in an AppleStore: Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If there are no Apple stores nearby:

There's online or phone support just a click and a few minutes away from the [Need help? .. call or chat} link in this article: Set up iPhone - Official Apple Support

Else:

If you are restoring a previously owned (new to you) iPhone 12:

Apple Support has an online article to help with that:

How to: Restore an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch that needs a newer version of iOS or iPadOS – Apple Support

There are other "set-up" guides available, yet none that help update before setting up:

How to: Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad – Apple Support

How to: Set up your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

How to: Turn on and set up iPhone – Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 3:22 PM in response to jpmaynes

Thank you kindly for your reply, jpmaynes.

There is no way that I know of to update a brand new iPhone without first connecting to wi-fi, ready for activating. and then updating it. If you purchased the iPhone in an Apple Store, (or even elsewhere), you may want to make a reservation and get help from the experts in an AppleStore: Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If there are no Apple stores nearby:

There's online or phone support just a click and a few minutes away from the [Need help? .. call or chat} link in this article: Set up iPhone - Official Apple Support

Else:

If you are restoring a previously owned (new to you) iPhone 12:

Apple Support has an online article to help with that:

How to: Restore an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch that needs a newer version of iOS or iPadOS – Apple Support

There are other "set-up" guides available, yet none that help update before setting up:

How to: Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad – Apple Support

How to: Set up your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

How to: Turn on and set up iPhone – Apple Support

iPhone needs an update prior to being activated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.