Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

All of my devices forget all wifi passwords about once a week

Starting about a month ago, all of my Apple devices (2019 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.15.7, iPhone 12 Pro Max with iOS 16.4.1, and iPad Pro 2 with iPadOS 15.7.1) forget all wifi passwords. Each time, this happens to all of the devices simultaneously and I have to re-save the passwords on all of the devices again. The devices think they remember the networks, but either forget the password or the passwords are corrupted.

I cannot figure out what is going on or what is causing it. It seems like it might be linked somehow to iCloud or my Apple ID since it happens on all of my devices repeatedly and at the same time. I've found a lot of advice only, but none of it has helped so far.

Has anyone experienced this and know how to fix it? Thank you for the help.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on May 4, 2023 10:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 10:57 PM

thank you manjor but this is not an answer to the OP's question. it is an unrelated answer.

same thing happening to me-- iphone on ios 16.5 as of today. problem started with ios 16.4. two offices, home and other known networks (so we are talking several different routers, ISPs and networks)-- the iphone periodically forgets the network passwords. after the iphone forgets it, my icloud signed macs follow (a macbook, a macbook pro, two mac minis and two imacs). i reenter them and about a week later they forget the passwords again. but the iphone, under wifi settings, shows the networks as "my networks", still recognizes them, but forgets their passwords and asks me to reenter. once that happens, the macs forget them too. this is not a router, network or device problem. all of my apple devices under the same icloud account do this since ios 16.4. apple said they addressed forgotten wifi password issues with a patch to ios 16.4 but apparently not. this is obviously a keychain and icloud problem that needs to be addressed by apple. there are numerous other users complaining about the same thing. any thoughts?

152 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 10:57 PM in response to ManJor

thank you manjor but this is not an answer to the OP's question. it is an unrelated answer.

same thing happening to me-- iphone on ios 16.5 as of today. problem started with ios 16.4. two offices, home and other known networks (so we are talking several different routers, ISPs and networks)-- the iphone periodically forgets the network passwords. after the iphone forgets it, my icloud signed macs follow (a macbook, a macbook pro, two mac minis and two imacs). i reenter them and about a week later they forget the passwords again. but the iphone, under wifi settings, shows the networks as "my networks", still recognizes them, but forgets their passwords and asks me to reenter. once that happens, the macs forget them too. this is not a router, network or device problem. all of my apple devices under the same icloud account do this since ios 16.4. apple said they addressed forgotten wifi password issues with a patch to ios 16.4 but apparently not. this is obviously a keychain and icloud problem that needs to be addressed by apple. there are numerous other users complaining about the same thing. any thoughts?

May 23, 2023 3:07 AM in response to malloyca

Also experiencing this issue, which started within the last few weeks. All internet providers, wifi routers etc are the same as they were before the issues started occurring, but all my apple devices (MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone & MacMini) seem to forget the passwords on a fairly regular basis which never used to happen - is it a bug related to an update perhaps?

May 23, 2023 10:48 AM in response to ManJor

Thank you ManJor for your reply, but as the other responses have mentioned I don't think that addresses the issue. I have been trying those kinds of solutions for weeks and none have worked. It happened to me again a couple of days ago. It seems to more likely be an issue with Keychain passwords being shared over iCloud.

It happens simultaneously on all devices connected to my account for all wifi networks regardless of where the devices are. When they forget, they forget every password for every wifi network at the same time. It seems like all of the stored passwords on a device are somehow being corrupted and then that is synced to all of the other devices.

I've done many searches and any situations that sound similar to this either don't have solutions posted or the ones people have posted are either not relevant or not helpful for this problem.

Jun 7, 2023 6:49 AM in response to malloyca

More than just a “me too”, here are more symptoms.

1. It’s all Apple devices. macOS (multiple versions), and iOS (latest and just previous versions), Macs, iPads, iPhones. Windows devices are not affected.
  2. Apple devices don’t just forget one WiFi password, they forget ALL of them, even if saved. I work from home plus several other locations regularly. Once this started happening, all devices require EVERY WiFi password EVERY TIME. It seems like one of Apple’s security updates blocked the ability to save WiFI passwords.
  3. This started a month or two ago. Prior to that time, all Apple devices would auto-connect to saved WiFi APs with saved passwords.
  4. At the risk of repetition, it’s ALL Apple devices, including Apple TV. But it’s only Apple devices. Any other device will auto-connect perfectly, any network, any time, every time. It’s therefore not a router issue at all.
  5. This is a MAJOR pain. Many passwords are deliberately complex for added security.

May 29, 2023 9:58 PM in response to malloyca

I am also having this issue. Started about a month ago on ALL my devices: Two MacBook Pros -Catalina and Monterey, and an iPhone and iPad Air 4 both on latest version of iOS 16.5 At first I thought it was my AirPort Extreme AC... to the point that I nuked it and reconfigured it.

Then today I casually mentioned it to a friend an he told me "ME TOO!!" His MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad Air ALL keep forgetting the WiFi password. And he is on a different make of a modern WiFi router.

This is NOT a router or internet issue. Something has recently changed either in a security update OR on iCloud's back end.

Jul 18, 2023 2:16 PM in response to malloyca

Hey all! Just a quick update. I have been working with an Apple advisor for about a month now (providing logs, system diagnostics, screenshots, date logs, and more from all of my devices). Apple engineers are aware of this problem and are working on figuring it out and fixing it. According to the advisor I am working with, others are also working with Apple's advisors collecting valuable data. Hang in there! Apple is aware of it and it will be resolved. In the meantime, just turn off "Passwords and Keychain" / "Keychain" on all of your devices as a bandaid until issue is resolved.

Jun 15, 2023 8:10 AM in response to dodifrommanteca

Just adding my +1 to this issue. iPhone11,Pro (iOS 16.5), iPad,ProM2 (16.5), and MBPr10,1 (running 10.15.7).

The MBP doesn't even leave the house/network, yet STILL 'forgets' the password once a week. Apple, please:

1. If it IS a router/ISP/firmware issue then you need to explain WHY this happens, and begin working on a solution. Hate to say it, but all electronic devices require updates (usually auto) and if it breaks keychain that is a problem. Do not point fingers, Apple users expect and deserve more. (e.g. "You're holding it wrong" is NOT an answer anymore).
  2. Aside from the annoyance, it undermines trust in Apple's iCloud & Keychain reliability and security. If you ARE the privacy and protection company, and expect us to trust you with our most sensitive data and passwords... this clearly systemic issue needs to be researched and addressed. Build. That. Trust.

May 7, 2023 3:02 PM in response to malloyca

Hello malloyca,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that your Apple devices will sometimes forget the Wi-Fi passwords and you have to reenter them. We are happy to help.

Are you using the same Apple ID on all of your devices? Have you made any recent changes to your devices? Have you recently changed Internet Service Providers? Does your router and modem require a firmware update? If so, you may need to contact your Internet Service Provider to assist you with the this. Are you using a particular app(s) when this occurs? These answers will help us to further isolate the cause.

Apple recommends these settings. Please apply these settings as they may help: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

"Router settings

To ensure that your devices can connect securely and reliably to your network, apply these settings consistently to each Wi-Fi router and access point, and to each band of a dual-band, tri-band, or other multiband router. Before changing the settings, you should take these steps:

• Back up your existing settings, in case you need to restore them.
  • Install the latest firmware updates for your router. This is generally done from the app or webpage that you use to administer the router.
  • Update the software on your other devices, such as on your Mac and on your iPhone or iPad, to ensure that they have the latest security updates and work best with each other.

After changing the settings, you might need to forget the network on each device that previously joined the network. This ensures that the device uses the router's new settings when rejoining the network."

We also recommend that you check for potential signs of Wi-Fi interference: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

"How to reduce wireless interference

These general steps can help achieve a cleaner, stronger wireless signal:

• Bring your Wi-Fi device closer to your Wi-Fi router. Bring the Bluetooth devices that are connecting to each other closer together. 
  • Avoid using your wireless devices near common sources of interference, such as power cables, microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, wireless video cameras, and cordless phones.
  • Reduce the number of active devices that use the same wireless frequency band. Both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi devices use the 2.4 GHz band, but many Wi-Fi devices can use the 5 GHz band instead. If your Wi-Fi router supports both bands, it might help to connect more of your Wi-Fi devices to the 5GHz band. Some dual-band routers manage this for you automatically.
  • Configure your Wi-Fi router to use a different Wi-Fi channel, or have it scan for the channel with the least interference. Most routers perform this scan automatically on startup or when reset.

If you're using USB 3 or Thunderbolt 3 devices with your computer, you can limit their potential to interfere with nearby wireless devices:

• Use a high-quality, shielded USB or Thunderbolt 3 cable with each device.
  • Move your USB 3 or Thunderbolt 3 devices—including any USB hubs—farther away from your wireless devices.
  • Avoid placing USB 3 or Thunderbolt 3 devices on top of your Mac.
  • Turn off any USB 3 devices that aren't in use.

Avoid physical obstructions in the path of your wireless signal. For example, a metal surface between your Bluetooth mouse and computer could cause the mouse to perform poorly, and a metal-reinforced concrete floor between your Wi-Fi router and Wi-Fi device could cause poor Wi-Fi performance.

• Low interference potential: wood, glass, and many synthetic materials
  • Medium interference potential: water, bricks, marble
  • High interference potential: plaster, concrete, bulletproof glass
  • Very high interference potential: metal"

Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

Apr 21, 2024 12:25 AM in response to malloyca

My problem is this I get my WiFi from my building same password for everyone

for the last 2 years. Today I called apple about my phone freezing not yet 3 months old 15 pro max

she reminded to key in the passcode once we finish talking I tried and does not take meany my iPad and my iPhone don’t want to remember the same exact pass that I have used till today

what the **** did those at apple did to the system that my phone does not take the password I can’t change it it belongs to the building and we all use the same

what am I to do and what will apple do when they reopen tomorrow hmm I am ****** at apple

Jul 23, 2023 3:00 AM in response to l008com

Edit: Reply to a message that has since been deleted

I got the post you tried to... post, in the notification email. I don't think invoking steve jobs is really going to get you the kind of response you want. Plus lets be honest, under steve jobs, they would have just randomly dropped the feature all together on a whim. But this isn't a steve jobs tim cook issue, this is a technical/engineering issue.

What probably makes a lot more sense would be for everyone here to submit feedback about iCloud through apple's feedback form here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

In fact I'm going to do that right now.

Jun 16, 2023 11:34 AM in response to verbalcontent

Agree all devices including a new iPhone 14 have experienced this problem in my house and with my home Wifi. Every device gets kicked out where it seems to ‘forget’ the home Wifi password.

I tried all the Apple suggestions:

1. rebooting the router
  2. updating all operating software on all my Apple devices.
  3. forgetting my network and signing in again
  4. rebooting every Apple device

The problem persists - likely an Apple problem.

Jul 25, 2023 1:27 AM in response to Kherberos

Beskardes nailed it. Apple broke it with an update. And he/she first posted that it related to iOS 16.4 on May 18, three and a half months ago. It's no longer "very constructive" information, it's old news that Apple should have responded to. This problem has been going on for over 4 months.

As to Apple responding to issues they caused by evaluating the "me too" button hits...yeah, they sure do that. They really don't take action unless the problem seems big enough, and enough people are complaining. That's what we're doing here. If you have patience, you don't complain. What good does that do? If everyone were infinitely patient and thought highly of Apple, no problem would ever be reported, never be corrected, and we'd all just live with it forever. The squeeky wheel does get the grease.

I think we'd all be more patient if:

1. We felt, through some form of feedback, that Apple was listening
  2. The problem, caused by Apple, could be addressed more quickly
  3. The problem wasn't quite such a pain to deal with on a daily (or more) basis
  4. The problem wasn't the kind that could literally prevent work and business from being conducted

This all contributes positively or negatively to the experience of using Apple products.

Sep 22, 2023 3:43 PM in response to plasticjesus

Hello Everyone!

Potential solution here!

So while working with Apple Support now for quite some time.. we came across a solution that seems to work (and continues to work for me) and also seems to point to the issue being specifically tied to some corruption spreading to Keychain from some glitch in iOS 16.4. I have done this and have now gone a month without any WiFi disconnects.

Follow these steps EXACTLY:

MAKE SURE EVERY SINGLE APPLE DEVICE you own is updated to whatever highest version of its operating system it will support. So run Software Update on everything. The key is to bypass iOS 16.4.

Then:

1. In your iCloud settings on EVERY device, turn off Keychain (macOS) and Passwords and Keychain (iPhone / iPad) on ALL of your devices.
  2. Power off / shut down / unplug EVERY SINGLE Apple device you own! And I mean EVERYTHING!
  3. Wait 30 minutes (this is important as it "disconnects" / "shuts down" any latent sessions between your devices and Apple's servers (according to the engineers).
  4. Power on all your devices and go into your iCloud settings and turn on Keychain (macOS) and Passwords and Keychain (iPhone / iPad) from the newest version of the OS to the oldest.

And that should do it! Has worked for me so far.

Post your results to see if anyone else still has issues.

All Best!!

All of my devices forget all wifi passwords about once a week

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.