How to fix search issues in old outlook for MacBook Air

using outlook for mac version 16.72.3. search does not work in old outlook but does in new outlook. cant stand new outlook and have tried multiple fixes with no help

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 5, 2023 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2024 1:20 PM

I've had this same problem and used the solution you reference with a slight modification. Go to Spotlight Privacy as you've described but instead of adding the entire HD, press cmd+shift+g and go to ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T******.Office/ from here find and select Outlook and press Choose. Press Done, then re-enter Spotlight Privacy and remove the Outlook entry. Spotlight should begin re-indexing Outlook in the background. Back in Outlook try a search, be patient, and items should begin appearing. As a side note, after Office or OS upgrades I've had to redo this procedure.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2024 1:20 PM in response to amarg726

I've had this same problem and used the solution you reference with a slight modification. Go to Spotlight Privacy as you've described but instead of adding the entire HD, press cmd+shift+g and go to ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T******.Office/ from here find and select Outlook and press Choose. Press Done, then re-enter Spotlight Privacy and remove the Outlook entry. Spotlight should begin re-indexing Outlook in the background. Back in Outlook try a search, be patient, and items should begin appearing. As a side note, after Office or OS upgrades I've had to redo this procedure.

May 6, 2023 11:07 AM in response to amarg726

I was having this same exact problem, tried all the "fixes" I could find and nothing worked. Finally I stumbled onto one that did. Go to settings --> Siri & Spotlight --> Spotlight Privacy. Probably there is nothing there. I clicked the + button and added the entire Macintosh HD (hard drive). It will warn you if you are sure. Do it. Reboot the computer. Go back to Spotlight Privacy and remove the hard drive. It took about an hour for my computer to reindex, but now Outlook Search works great!

Feb 26, 2024 11:06 AM in response to timmfrommaricopa

You said "It took about an hour for my computer to reindex" During the reindexing process, did you see anything on the screen like "indexing" or something like that? I did the same as advised but seeing nothing on the screen, so I'm not sure if Outlook is indexing or not. The final result is my Outlook is not able to search email. Your solution does not work for me.

May 31, 2024 6:28 AM in response to amarg726

Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing search issues with Outlook Version 16.85.2 (Legacy, as the new Outlook has font issues) on macOS Sonoma. I was able to fully resolve these problems by contacting Microsoft and using the following commands in the terminal:

sudo mdutil -a -i off
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
sudo mdutil -a -i on

These commands will reindex your entire Mac, which may take a few minutes to a few hours depending on your files and system specifications.

I hope this helps anyone facing similar issues with Outlook search.

Thanks

How to fix search issues in old outlook for MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.