Is it possible to create a bootable macOS Big Sur USB installer?

Hey. I recently discovered that I can upgrade my Macbook Pro from Catalina to Big Sur. I’ve tried both ways but neither worked. I asked Apple and they told me that my device wasn’t compatible with Big Sur. But then I found out that it is technically possible- through USB. But does it actually work?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2023 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2023 3:07 PM

Yes, it is possible to create a bootable USB installer. The following support article will provide you with the steps to do so: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

However, as jeffreythefrog has already mentioned, if Apple is telling you that your particular Mac model is not supported to work with macOS Big Sur, then it doesn't matter how you try to upgrade it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2023 3:07 PM in response to Mac_user13

Yes, it is possible to create a bootable USB installer. The following support article will provide you with the steps to do so: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

However, as jeffreythefrog has already mentioned, if Apple is telling you that your particular Mac model is not supported to work with macOS Big Sur, then it doesn't matter how you try to upgrade it.

May 5, 2023 12:37 PM in response to Mac_user13

if apple said your device wasn't compatible, then that is very likely the case. but you have not told us what year of MBP that you have. is it at least one of those listed below?

if it is not at least a late 2013 model, then, sorry, it cannot be upgraded past Catalina. and any hacks that you may find on the internet would be in direct violation with the macOS end user license agreement that you must agree to in order to use macOS.

Is it possible to create a bootable macOS Big Sur USB installer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.