iMessage

Can I send SMS via iMessage on my Mac? If I don't have an iPhone?

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on May 6, 2023 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2023 9:04 AM

No, to send/receive SMS on a Mac, it must be linked to an iPhone and logged in to the same Apple ID. Also, on the iPhone one needs to turn on iMessage forwarding so SMS messages coming in to the phone are also received on the Mac and vice versa. The iPhone and Mac must be configured for this together.

Without an iPhone, you can still send/receive iMessages through your Apple ID but that only works with other Apple devices using iMessage, not with non-Apple devices that use SMS.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2023 9:04 AM in response to efficientarm2023

No, to send/receive SMS on a Mac, it must be linked to an iPhone and logged in to the same Apple ID. Also, on the iPhone one needs to turn on iMessage forwarding so SMS messages coming in to the phone are also received on the Mac and vice versa. The iPhone and Mac must be configured for this together.

Without an iPhone, you can still send/receive iMessages through your Apple ID but that only works with other Apple devices using iMessage, not with non-Apple devices that use SMS.

iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.