MacBook Pro M2 with 2 Thunderbolt Displays

I'm currently using a Thunderbolt2 to USB-C adapter to connect a Thunderbolt display. I want to add a second Thunderbolt display to have 2 external monitors + laptop. Since the Thunderbolt displays only have USB ports (no Thunderbolt ports), I can't directly daisy-chain them together. Any ideas? Is there a recommended hub that will make this work?

Posted on May 6, 2023 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2023 7:06 PM

What year and size is your M2 MacBook Pro? The 2022 13" supports only one external display.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M2, 2022) - Technical Specifications

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

The 2023 14" does support two external Thunderbolt displays.

MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2023) - Technical Specifications

Thunderbolt displays do have a Thunderbolt port on the back, so can be daisy-chained with just one Thunderbolt adapter if your MacBook Pro supports two external displays.

Apple Thunderbolt Display - Technical Specifications

"Peripheral connections:

Three powered USB 2.0 ports

FireWire 800 port

Gigabit Ethernet port

Thunderbolt port"

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2023 7:06 PM in response to d_bett22

What year and size is your M2 MacBook Pro? The 2022 13" supports only one external display.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M2, 2022) - Technical Specifications

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

The 2023 14" does support two external Thunderbolt displays.

MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2023) - Technical Specifications

Thunderbolt displays do have a Thunderbolt port on the back, so can be daisy-chained with just one Thunderbolt adapter if your MacBook Pro supports two external displays.

Apple Thunderbolt Display - Technical Specifications

"Peripheral connections:

Three powered USB 2.0 ports

FireWire 800 port

Gigabit Ethernet port

Thunderbolt port"

Oct 4, 2023 9:31 PM in response to d_bett22

I don't know what you mean when you say that "the Thunderbolt displays only have USB ports (no Thunderbolt ports)."

The 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display, model A1407, sold between July 2011 and June 2016, has two Thunderbolt connections, both of which are Thunderbolt 1 connections using Mini DisplayPort style connectors. One of the connections might consist of a hard-wired cable with a Thunderbolt 1 plug on the end.

If both connections are working and your computer has Thunderbolt and your computer supports at least two external monitors, with resolutions of 2560x1440 pixels or greater, you can daisy-chain the monitors.

If you have an Apple laptop that uses the base M1 or M2 chip (13" Air, 15" Air, 13" Pro), you have a machine that supports at most one external monitor. So you can't daisy-chain two Thunderbolt Displays to it, and expect that to work.

Oct 5, 2023 12:23 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Yes, I understand the the M1 and M2 chips (not Pro versions) support only a single external monitor. I'm looking for a workaround for the Thunderbolt displays. Many people have used docks/hubs to accomplish dual-monitor support for other monitor protocols, but I can't use these solutions because they do not support old Thunderbolt 2. I was hoping someone in the community had found a clever way to get around the single monitor support, specifically for Thunderbolt displays.

Apr 30, 2024 11:23 PM in response to a4girl

I found this article in Macworld but the docking stations are on the expensive side so I have not commented on doing it just yet. But at least it provides detailed solutions on how to get around this supporting only a single monitor.

https://www.macworld.com/article/675869/how-to-connect-two-or-more-external-displays-to-apple-silicon-m1-macs.html

Hope this helps!!

MacBook Pro M2 with 2 Thunderbolt Displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.