Apple TV 4k 3rd generation doesn't connect to 5G

Why does my Apple TV 4k 3rd generation 2022 doesn't connect to my 5G network? It only connects to the 4G network and the 5G doesn't even show in the Wi-Fi network list. I tried restarting the Apple TV and router many times but no results.

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on May 6, 2023 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2023 8:16 PM

Rossonero11 wrote:

Why does my Apple TV 4k 3rd generation 2022 doesn't connect to my 5G network? It only connects to the 4G network and the 5G doesn't even show in the Wi-Fi network list. I tried restarting the Apple TV and router many times but no results.

"5G" and "4G" are most often used to describe cellular networks - not WiFi network types. Are you referring to 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi? If so, double-check your router's settings because your ATV4K supports 5GHz on a variety of 802.11* standards. See Apple TV Wi-Fi specification details - Apple Support

Also know that although 5GHz WiFi supports higher bandwidths, the shorter waves don't offer the range of 2.4GHz and are less able to penetrate walls and other obstacles.

Finally, be aware that for the best streaming media you can receive & play on the ATV4K (or any similar player) 25Mbps download speed is all you need (and you could cheerfully make due with less).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2023 8:16 PM in response to Rossonero11

Rossonero11 wrote:

"5G" and "4G" are most often used to describe cellular networks - not WiFi network types. Are you referring to 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi? If so, double-check your router's settings because your ATV4K supports 5GHz on a variety of 802.11* standards. See Apple TV Wi-Fi specification details - Apple Support

Also know that although 5GHz WiFi supports higher bandwidths, the shorter waves don't offer the range of 2.4GHz and are less able to penetrate walls and other obstacles.

Finally, be aware that for the best streaming media you can receive & play on the ATV4K (or any similar player) 25Mbps download speed is all you need (and you could cheerfully make due with less).

Apple TV 4k 3rd generation doesn't connect to 5G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.