Battery drainage

Why does my iPad’s battery drained up to 20% overnight even when I’ve turned on the flight mode? This is worrying and unusual since I’ve tried not using my iPad for a week and it only takes 20%. Not only that, sometimes it gets heated when not being used and suddenly the battery percentage dropped. There’s one time I left my ipad for about 8 hours without using it and the moment I wanted to use it, it died. The last time I checked there was about 60% more.

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 6, 2023 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2023 6:16 AM

Hi!

Make sure you're using iPad in optimal temperatures, which is between 0ºC/32ºF and 35ºC/95ºF. The temperature range for storing iPad is much more generous. You can store your iPad in temperatures between -20ºC/-4ºF and 45ºC/113ºF.

You can also use Low Power Mode to decrease the amount of battery drainage:

To turn Low Power Mode on, go to Settings > Battery. You can also turn Low Power Mode on from Control Center. Go to Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls, then select Low Power Mode to add it to Control Center.

(Use Low Power Mode to save battery life on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support)

Turning off background app refresh may also help with saving battery:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap General > Background App Refresh

Furthermore, you can turn off your iPad when you're not using it for a few hours to prevent significant battery loss. I do this overnight, and, from my experience, my iPad stays at 100% for the whole night. If you need any assistance with this, be sure to check out the first couple steps of this article: Restart your iPad - Apple Support.

I also recommend keep your iPad up-to-date with software updates. Here's how to check for updates on iPad:

1. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
2. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
3. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now.

(Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support)

I hope this answers your question!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2023 6:16 AM in response to Nurzaf

Hi!

Make sure you're using iPad in optimal temperatures, which is between 0ºC/32ºF and 35ºC/95ºF. The temperature range for storing iPad is much more generous. You can store your iPad in temperatures between -20ºC/-4ºF and 45ºC/113ºF.

You can also use Low Power Mode to decrease the amount of battery drainage:

To turn Low Power Mode on, go to Settings > Battery. You can also turn Low Power Mode on from Control Center. Go to Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls, then select Low Power Mode to add it to Control Center.

(Use Low Power Mode to save battery life on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support)

Turning off background app refresh may also help with saving battery:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap General > Background App Refresh

Furthermore, you can turn off your iPad when you're not using it for a few hours to prevent significant battery loss. I do this overnight, and, from my experience, my iPad stays at 100% for the whole night. If you need any assistance with this, be sure to check out the first couple steps of this article: Restart your iPad - Apple Support.

I also recommend keep your iPad up-to-date with software updates. Here's how to check for updates on iPad:

1. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
2. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
3. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now.

(Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support)

I hope this answers your question!

May 13, 2023 3:49 PM in response to Nurzaf

While enabling Airplane (flight) mode can inhibit the iPad’s Cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth radios, this mode does not shut down the iPad. As such, the iPad will continue to consume some power - as some background and internal housekeeping tasks will continue to run, consuming some power.

While the iPad remains powered-on, you can anticipate ~8-10% battery use per day.

If instead you fully shut-down iPad, you can further reduce power consumption:

Turn iPad on or off - Apple Support

Battery drainage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.