Unable to delete items on my desktop in Monterey 12.6.5

Suddenly in Monterey 12.6.5, I am unable to delete items from the desktop. I get "Moving (the file) to Trash." And it is unable to do so after hours. Has anyone a remedy or know what this is due to?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 6, 2023 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2023 2:08 AM

I don't know what would cause that to happen. See if it happens while in Safe Mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

10 replies

May 6, 2023 11:19 PM in response to dialabrain

A jpeg downloaded onto the desktop and a screenshot that I took. When I click on either, there is no error message but the small window appears that shows a line moving left to right and it says Moving Screen Shot 2023 to Trash. It never completes the action and the need for that window being open rather than just dropping it in the trash is also part of the problem.

May 7, 2023 11:12 AM in response to dialabrain

First, I tried a restart. No change. I restarted again, no change. I shut down. And now, it is working again. All I know is that from the minute I put on the recent security update 12.6.4, I have had numerous issues I never had before and they are very various. They were also not corrected in 12.6.5 which came out a day or two later and I assumed they would.

May 7, 2023 7:50 PM in response to dialabrain

There are several issues I've had since that update which were not fixed by 12.6.5. This one seems to be working ok now, but there are still issues in mail with some pictures no longer showing, but showing in IOS on the phone. I do think it's mostly that my iMac is ready to be retired--it's late winter 2015 and cannot be updated to the current OS.

Unable to delete items on my desktop in Monterey 12.6.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.