mac OS Ventura upgrade caused issues with my Seagate external hard drive?!

Did the upgrade to mac OS Ventura really cause a problem with my Seagate Backup Plus Portable external hard drive?! I was not able to see it or mount it on my 15" 2018 Macbook Pro or my 2023 iMac at all, but when I plugged it into my partner's PC, all my data was intact. The Macs prevented me from seeing my external, even just when it was simply connected - I could see it was working but no detection on either Mac. Caused me an unnecessary heart attack! I can't seem to downgrade to Monterey, otherwise it would be fine since it was working on Monterey before the upgrade. At least my data is intact... Can anyone help with downgrading to Monterey?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 7, 2023 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2023 11:40 AM

You mention connecting it to a PC -- that means it must be formatted to be PC-compatible. If you are using NTFS on the drive, that requires a driver which has to be installed on the Mac(s). Those drivers often need to be updated to work with an updated MacOS. Or any external drive firmware or driver -- this is the vulnerability of using such third party tools, one needs to check for compatibility before updating the MacOS.

If this is the issue, after you perform the update to the NTFS or other driver/firmware, the drives should work.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2023 11:40 AM in response to complexthrill

You mention connecting it to a PC -- that means it must be formatted to be PC-compatible. If you are using NTFS on the drive, that requires a driver which has to be installed on the Mac(s). Those drivers often need to be updated to work with an updated MacOS. Or any external drive firmware or driver -- this is the vulnerability of using such third party tools, one needs to check for compatibility before updating the MacOS.

If this is the issue, after you perform the update to the NTFS or other driver/firmware, the drives should work.

May 7, 2023 12:56 PM in response to complexthrill

Yes, you will need to install the latest version that is Ventura compatible. I know that Paragon offers such a product, I suspect there are other suppliers as well. I don't use NTFS myself but I have read that one must obtain the paid up version for full functionality. I think the cost is relatively low (like ~ $20) for the paid up version. I believe there may be other options in the App Store as well, or you can find other brands online.

mac OS Ventura upgrade caused issues with my Seagate external hard drive?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.