Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to duplicate an image in Apple Photos

When I want to duplicate an image in Photos (version 8.0 on Ventura), I follow the normal procedure: double-click on the thumbnail to bring up the photo, right-click on it, and select "Duplicate 1 Photo" from the drop-down menu. However, when I then return to the thumbnails, I just see the original image; I can't find the duplicate anywhere. What gives?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 7, 2023 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 12:56 AM

Look in the "Library > All Photos" view. There the duplicates should appear side-by-side, as they will have the same date. Or search for the filename in the search field.

You may not have been able to create a duplicate at all, while in "Imports". When I try to duplicate a photo there, the "Duplicate" command is dimmed and cannot be used in my current system version macOS 13 Ventura.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 12:56 AM in response to PeterBrunette

Look in the "Library > All Photos" view. There the duplicates should appear side-by-side, as they will have the same date. Or search for the filename in the search field.

You may not have been able to create a duplicate at all, while in "Imports". When I try to duplicate a photo there, the "Duplicate" command is dimmed and cannot be used in my current system version macOS 13 Ventura.

May 8, 2023 6:21 AM in response to léonie

Thanks, Léonie. That’s very helpful. I’m also using the latest version of Ventura. As it turns out, it is possible to duplicate a photo in the Imports view. To do that, you have to first double-click on the thumbnail to bring up the actual photo file, then right-click on that and select “Duplicate 1 Photo.” What had me stumped was that the duplicate doesn’t show up in the Imports view (although it did in the previous version of Photos I had been using); however, I can now find it by switching to the Library > All Photos view as you suggested.

May 8, 2023 8:42 AM in response to PeterBrunette

A very useful method to see both copies is to, as léonie suggested, copy the file name from the info window and paste that into the search field. You'll get both pictures showing together. I immediately type "duplicate" into the caption or title of the new one. Keep in mind that the new one will not be in the same albums as the origiinal, so that's why it get's lost so easily.

Jun 5, 2023 11:37 PM in response to TrueLies001

WHY is this SO HARD???????

When I click on Duplicate 1 Photo why does it not duplicate the photo????

Why do I have to be in a special view?

Each of the predefined views is showing only a subset of your photos, specific for this view. This is what the different views have been designed for. For example, the "Imports" view is showing only photos that have been imported to Photos, not photos saved to Photos in other ways, for example by duplication. You cannot duplicate photos in "Imports" because the duplicated photo could not be added to "Imports" as it will be not be an imported photo; the same reason why we cannot import photos directly into "Recently Deleted" or duplicate photos in "Recently Deleted".

We can duplicate photos in any predefined album where the duplicate will fit into the predefined album according to the rules for the album - All Photos, Recents, all media type albums, because duplication does not change the type of the media. But duplication will change the "date added", so you may not find the duplicate easily in the view you are currently in, if the view is sorted by the "Date added" and not the date the photo has been taken.

How to duplicate an image in Apple Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.