transfering Mail to new computer

I currently have a 2017 iMac and will be purchasing a MacBook Pro when I decide on the configuration I want/need. After consulting several people, I have decided that when I get the new computer I don't want to use Migration Assistant to move my info to the new computer- too much unneeded stuff on my current computer. However, there are certain things I do want to transfer- some files and music. I think I know how to save and transfer most of what I want. But my concern is with Apple Mail. I would like to transfer all my Mail files (several years worth of emails) but am unsure how to do this. Any help/suggestions?

Posted on May 7, 2023 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 5:26 AM

You don't need to transfer anything. Go through the process of setting up the various existing mail accounts using their proper credentials (server names and such) and your mail will follow along right after you.

Mail is just a portal to a web service that allows local control.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 5:26 AM in response to freichorn

You don't need to transfer anything. Go through the process of setting up the various existing mail accounts using their proper credentials (server names and such) and your mail will follow along right after you.

Mail is just a portal to a web service that allows local control.

transfering Mail to new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.