The Retina display on my MacBook Pro 15 inch, running Monterey, version 12.6.5 is showing a split screen with the bottom of the main screen jittering back and forth to replicate the bottom and top half of the screen . How can I fix this?

How can I fix the display to stop the split screen jittering?

Posted on May 7, 2023 10:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 5:36 PM

Sounds like a bad Display. However, to be sure you can we can toggle the Display setting in case the display is stuck in some weird mode. Open the Display System Preferences/Settings and change the display resolution. Apple has changed how the display resolution is shown in the Display System Preferences/Settings. With more recent versions of macOS the "resolution" option is now shown as "Larger Text" or "More Space" (the latter means "smaller text"). Just choose any of them, let the display adjust, then toggle it back to the "Default". If this works to fix the issue, then it may just be a one time issue.

If this doesn't help, then you can try connecting an external display and enable mirroring. If the external display is fine, then it means the laptop's built-in display is bad and the laptop will need to be repaired.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 5:36 PM in response to Kelchnerbc

Sounds like a bad Display. However, to be sure you can we can toggle the Display setting in case the display is stuck in some weird mode. Open the Display System Preferences/Settings and change the display resolution. Apple has changed how the display resolution is shown in the Display System Preferences/Settings. With more recent versions of macOS the "resolution" option is now shown as "Larger Text" or "More Space" (the latter means "smaller text"). Just choose any of them, let the display adjust, then toggle it back to the "Default". If this works to fix the issue, then it may just be a one time issue.

If this doesn't help, then you can try connecting an external display and enable mirroring. If the external display is fine, then it means the laptop's built-in display is bad and the laptop will need to be repaired.

May 8, 2023 5:03 PM in response to Kelchnerbc

Kelchnerbc Said:

"How can I fix the display to stop the split screen jittering?: I do not have the option of changing the refresh rate when I go to the Display Settings.

———-

Please Emphasize “jiggering”:

Perhaps I am misinterpreting the word “jittering”?

Is the screen is in motion?

• If so, can you take a video of this, and post it on YouTube? Reply back with the hotlink of this video.

• If it is not moving around, then reply back with a photo of your screen.

The Retina display on my MacBook Pro 15 inch, running Monterey, version 12.6.5 is showing a split screen with the bottom of the main screen jittering back and forth to replicate the bottom and top half of the screen . How can I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.