Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Iphone hangs up on its own in the middle of the call

So basically out of nothing my phone started hanging up on its own in the middle of the call, in about 1 to 3 minutes.

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on May 8, 2023 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2023 7:13 PM

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Community bruna42,

If you're encountering issues with calls or cellular service, the following guidance may be helpful:

Contact your carrier
When you contact your carrier, make sure that:
* Your account is set up to use your iPhone.
* There aren't any localized service outages.
* Your account doesn't have a billing-related block.
* Your calls don't have errors on the carrier system.
Update your software
1. Check for a carrier settings update.
2. Check for an iOS software update. Some updates might require a Wi-Fi connection.
Check your settings
If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone, follow these steps, testing after each step.
Check your network setings
1. Reset your network settings. Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will erase all current saved settings, including Wi-Fi passwords, preferred networks, and VPN settings.
2. Try to make or receive calls in another location.
Check your iPhone settings
1. Turn Airplane Mode on and off. Go to Settings and turn on Airplane Mode, wait five seconds, then turn it off.
2. Check Do Not Disturb. Go to Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb and make sure it's off. Learn how to use Focus on your iPhone or iPad.
3. Check for any blocked phone numbers. Go to Settings > Phone > Blocked Contacts.
4. Check Call Forwarding. Go to Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding and make sure it's off.
5. Check Silence Unknown Callers. Go to Settings > Phone > Silence Unknown Callers. If the setting is on, a caller must be listed in your Contacts or Recents. Or they must have shared their number in Mail or sent you a message using that number in order for their call to go through. Add their number to Contacts to ensure the phone rings. Calls from some third-party apps might not go through.

If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone

If you need more help after going through these steps: Get Support from Apple.

Cheers!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2023 7:13 PM in response to bruna42

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Community bruna42,

If you're encountering issues with calls or cellular service, the following guidance may be helpful:

Contact your carrier
When you contact your carrier, make sure that:
* Your account is set up to use your iPhone.
* There aren't any localized service outages.
* Your account doesn't have a billing-related block.
* Your calls don't have errors on the carrier system.
Update your software
1. Check for a carrier settings update.
2. Check for an iOS software update. Some updates might require a Wi-Fi connection.
Check your settings
If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone, follow these steps, testing after each step.
Check your network setings
1. Reset your network settings. Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will erase all current saved settings, including Wi-Fi passwords, preferred networks, and VPN settings.
2. Try to make or receive calls in another location.
Check your iPhone settings
1. Turn Airplane Mode on and off. Go to Settings and turn on Airplane Mode, wait five seconds, then turn it off.
2. Check Do Not Disturb. Go to Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb and make sure it's off. Learn how to use Focus on your iPhone or iPad.
3. Check for any blocked phone numbers. Go to Settings > Phone > Blocked Contacts.
4. Check Call Forwarding. Go to Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding and make sure it's off.
5. Check Silence Unknown Callers. Go to Settings > Phone > Silence Unknown Callers. If the setting is on, a caller must be listed in your Contacts or Recents. Or they must have shared their number in Mail or sent you a message using that number in order for their call to go through. Add their number to Contacts to ensure the phone rings. Calls from some third-party apps might not go through.

If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone

If you need more help after going through these steps: Get Support from Apple.

Cheers!

Aug 23, 2023 1:34 PM in response to bruna42

I am facing the same issue where on every call within 1-3 min in the call the phone hangs up on its own a”and the speaker sign turns from grey to white as the call gets disconnected, I have to connect wired earphones and then the call is normal, ie no call drop even for hours , I am too on iPhone SE 2 the 2020 model.

I ve tried everything suggested by Apple support even contacted them they ran a diagnosis on the phone reporting everything is normal , done a hard reset , even flashed latest ios version in recovery , also in the very frustrating and difficult “DFU mode” , but no success , still the problem persisted , a temporary solution is if you clean the earpiece with ethyl Alchol , the call is stable for a few calls , I thought it’s the screen protector that’s blocking some sensors, so I removed them , few calls went smooth , then this started again, I ve given up all hope& my last resort is to make & receive every call through the wired Apple lightning earphones.

i ve also switched carriers like I was on jio switched to airtel , still plagued by this problem , either it’s a hardware defect or a software issue that iPhone SE is plagued with , which Apple would never admit.

well finally wrestling for months I ve made peace with a pair of lightning earphones . Last thing on my mind is to get a battery replacement, coz may be a weak battery might be the culprit as mine has more than 500 cycles, well let’s see if that solves the issue 🤞.

let me know if anyone found the solution ✌️

Sep 30, 2023 1:54 PM in response to MoonStarstruck

After months of calls disconnecting after a few minutes of conversation, I called AT&T and after four different phone calls with four different representatives, problem was still happening. I did all of their suggestions including going to the AT&T store and getting a new SIM card. They even suggested getting a new phone! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Still nothing fixed my problem until I came across this site after googling if anyone else was having the same issue with their SE2020. I tried this fix and my call hang up was on, so I turned it off and voilà! I haven’t had a call disconnect since! Thank you for posting this. 🙌🏼

Iphone hangs up on its own in the middle of the call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.