Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Unable to edit Mp4 from ppt Microsoft 365 in iMovie

I used microsoft 365 powerpoint and converted my animated ppt presentation to mp4 and mov. I can’t use both in imovie, I can import the files but I can’t edit them. The mp4 file has the right codec being mentioned in the forums but I still can’t drag and edit..what is wrong with it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 8, 2023 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 5:44 PM

Hmmmmm. Very strange. Converted Handbrake vids always work in iMovie, unless there is some issue with iMovie itself. Try deleting preferences and see if that cures it.

To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie usually will open in a new empty library. If so, reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, you can try creating a new project and see if the clip will play there.

-- Rich

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 5:44 PM in response to Bimby_5

Hmmmmm. Very strange. Converted Handbrake vids always work in iMovie, unless there is some issue with iMovie itself. Try deleting preferences and see if that cures it.

To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie usually will open in a new empty library. If so, reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, you can try creating a new project and see if the clip will play there.

-- Rich

May 8, 2023 8:31 AM in response to Bimby_5

Hi,

Not all Mp4 works in iMovie. It must be Mp4/AAC. AAC stands for Advanced Audio Coding.

You can convert your Widows Power Point clip to Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to

complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

May 8, 2023 5:04 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich, so I followed what you said then opened iMovie app on Mac, it still didn’t work 🥴. I can add an audio file on the audio strip but not the converted mp4 file. I wonder if it has to do with iMovie version, mine is 10.3.5..I would like to add music and narration to this video thats why I want to use iMovie. Even the exported .mov file from the same ppt presentation (microsoft 365) doesn’t work on iMovie. Help!

Unable to edit Mp4 from ppt Microsoft 365 in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.