APPLE PENCIL DAMAGES THE SIDES OF MY IPAD PRO. (Exactly where the magnet that holds the pencil are)

I have had my Apple Pencil attached to my iPad Pro since this January 2023 a few weeks ago, I noticed that there were marks on my pencil and thought nothing of it at first. But just a few moments ago, I also noticed two scratches on the sides of my iPad, exactly where the magnets that holds the pencil are. Is this something that Apple would replace under warranty? How can I prevent this from happening?

iPad Pro (4th generation)

Posted on May 8, 2023 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 3:56 PM

Sorry, no. You have illustrated cosmetic damage, brought about through use. Apple consider this to be wear-and-tear - and not a warranty issue.

You can minimise occurrence through:

a) keeping the surfaces scrupulously clean and free dirt and dust.

b) lifting and not sliding the Pencil off the magnetic charging dock.

Everyday dust and dirt includes tiny but hard particles of grit - and it is these particles that have embedded in the comparatively soft body of the Apple Pencil. These grit particles have abraded the anodised surface of the iPad, causing the cosmetic damage that you see.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 3:56 PM in response to Sekitoff

Sorry, no. You have illustrated cosmetic damage, brought about through use. Apple consider this to be wear-and-tear - and not a warranty issue.

You can minimise occurrence through:

a) keeping the surfaces scrupulously clean and free dirt and dust.

b) lifting and not sliding the Pencil off the magnetic charging dock.

Everyday dust and dirt includes tiny but hard particles of grit - and it is these particles that have embedded in the comparatively soft body of the Apple Pencil. These grit particles have abraded the anodised surface of the iPad, causing the cosmetic damage that you see.

Nov 13, 2023 2:49 PM in response to Sekitoff

@LotusPilot

Would you mind me asking how you can say with so much certain that the marks are caused for whatever you are saying and it's not burnt marks?? Do you work at apple? How did you get this precise information that I can't find available on Apple's website or anywhere else? If you work for Apple, aren't this community supposed to be a user-to-user forum? Just to clarify as I am very confused of your role, could you please share the source of the information you shared on your answer?

I am just trying to figure it out why my Apple Pencil was replaced under warranty for the exactly same issue and it was found to be burn marks and not cosmetic damage.

I appreciate you honest and prompt answer.

Thanks

May 8, 2023 9:24 AM in response to Sekitoff

What you illustrate is localised surface wear of the anodised finish of the iPad. The illustrated marking appears to correspond with the magnetic contact points of your Apple Pencil. Any abrasive dust or grit that is present when docking the Pencil can abrade the anodised finish of the iPad. 

Basic material science tells us that an hard/abrasive material will embed itself in the surface of the softer material (in this case, the body of the Pencil) - and this can abrade the surface of the harder material (the anodised coating) as the Pencil slides on/off of the iPad charging pad.

Keeping these surfaces clean and dust free can reduce the possibility of cosmetic surface damage.

Jan 23, 2024 1:51 AM in response to Sekitoff

It must be a chemical reaction from the charging current passing through the coating material on the iPad. The space grey has been showning its underside material, hopefully the next iPad for 2024 will sport more natural colors of what they are made of that won’t peel nor fade (the charging port also shows some wear.)

There used to be titanium MacBooks and I’m hoping future devices will have stronger elements. I use a damp tissue to clean the areas that are in contact and it worked, you can still see the bare metal where they connect and I can live with that.

May 9, 2023 7:58 AM in response to Sekitoff

You can't repair the damage that has already been done at those contact points but you can minimize more of it by simply cutting some small clear Scotch tape pieces to act as "buffers" between the two surfaces. I would personally attach them to the iPad and not the Pencil. The magnets should have more than enough "pull" to hold the pencil to the iPad correctly.

Jan 19, 2024 2:01 AM in response to LotusPilot

That's bs, my other friends don't clean their iPad every day and they don't have these stains, it's a manufacturing error. I had the same problem with my iPad 2018. It's really sad and very disappointing that Apple doesn't do anything about it after customers spend so much money on their product, especially since it wouldn't be a problem for them to just exchange the iPad, they have enough money...

APPLE PENCIL DAMAGES THE SIDES OF MY IPAD PRO. (Exactly where the magnet that holds the pencil are)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.