Unable to send text messages from MacBook

I'm guessing it was a recent update, but my MacBook Pro has stopped sending text messages. I am receiving them now on there, but still cannot send. I've checked settings in messages on both ends - all should be working fine. Help :(

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 8, 2023 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 1:21 PM

Do you mean SMS messages (green)? Or iMessages (blue)? Or both.

If you mean SMS messages, Text Message Forwarding probably got turned off on your iPhone. On your phone, go to Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding and select your Mac.

See here for more info:

Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

If you mean something else, please explain.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 1:21 PM in response to aubrey266

Do you mean SMS messages (green)? Or iMessages (blue)? Or both.

If you mean SMS messages, Text Message Forwarding probably got turned off on your iPhone. On your phone, go to Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding and select your Mac.

See here for more info:

Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

If you mean something else, please explain.

May 8, 2023 2:09 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

SMS messages (green). I can send and receive iMessages, but I only am receiving SMS messages on my MacBook. MacBook is not sending them. I already went to Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding on my iPhone and it is on for both my MacBook Pro and my iPad. Also, copying something on one device and pasting it to the other is not working. Yet, handoff is still turned on.

Feb 11, 2024 10:47 PM in response to srwalsh73

srwalsh73 wrote:

I do not have Text Message Forwarding on my phone. Do you have another way you can recommend?

If you do not see Text Message Forwarding under Settings>Messages, I'd suggest you start by looking to see if there are any restrictions set in Screen Time or if you have an employer's account on your phone. I can say I've ever heard of those things causing the feature not to appear but, I can't recall ever hearing of the feature not showing up.

Feb 1, 2024 8:45 AM in response to grinbin77

grinbin77 wrote:

Yes I've turned on Text Message Forwarding. I've been receiving SMS messages to MacBook but when I try to send it always show 'Not Delivered'.

Turn of iMessage on your phone and on your computer. Restart them both. Re-enable iMessage on your iPhone. Once it's active, re-enable it on your Mac. Then, go back to the iPhone and re-enable Text Message Forwarding.

Mar 6, 2024 12:45 PM in response to Doug O.

Doug O. wrote:

I cant find Text Message Forwarding on the MacBook Pro , I did turn off and on on my iphone14. did not work

It's not on your MacBook Pro. The setting is on your iPhone. Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding, then select your MBP. Both devices need to be using the same Apple ID.

If you've done that and it still isn't working, try this. Turn off iMessage on both devices. Restart them both. Turn iMessage back on on your iPhone. Once it has completely activated, turn it back on on the MBP. Once iMessage is activated on both devices, set up Text Message Forwarding again.

Jun 11, 2024 7:46 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

[as I read it] what is being proposed is to set aside phone issues for now and focus on getting your Mac set up to request standard Apple messages through your iCloud Account on your Mac FIRST.

When that is working, you can think about forwarding through the iPhone (which could include SMS messages as well) as a flourish, after the basic functions are working.

Unable to send text messages from MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.