Rapid security response update

I am not interested in the rapid security response update. What should I do to prevent this from updating.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on May 8, 2023 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 5:55 PM

Further clarification based on subsequent responses:

Lawrence Finch provided an excellent response. It seems pointless and risky to not perform these updates immediately.

I’m not sure I fully understand TheLittles’ response. The fact is if you choose to bypass the Rapid Security Response, you will receive that same capability with your next regular iOS update.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2023 5:55 PM in response to Shari2s

Further clarification based on subsequent responses:

Lawrence Finch provided an excellent response. It seems pointless and risky to not perform these updates immediately.

I’m not sure I fully understand TheLittles’ response. The fact is if you choose to bypass the Rapid Security Response, you will receive that same capability with your next regular iOS update.

May 8, 2023 6:08 PM in response to sberman

Apple is being unusually secretive about this update. Normally, a few days after an update is released they add a description of what security issues the update addresses, here→Apple security updates - Apple Support

The fact that they didn’t is what has led to much of the speculation. That might mean that the vulnerability was so serious that they don’t want hackers to use information in the published security information to attack un-updated iPhones. It’s also possible that it was really just a test of the Rapid Security Response process, and doesn’t fix anything.

May 8, 2023 5:49 PM in response to Shari2s

Shari2s Said:

"Rapid security response update: I am not interested in the rapid security response update. What should I do to prevent this from updating."

-------

Update a Few Dats Later:

It will always be there --it's on Apple. Note that one you updates your iPhone, you cannot downgrade it. With that being so, your only option is to no longer update your iPhone. But that is unwise, as bugs can come about. Lots of issues are reported. So, I plan to give it another day, seeing what has come out of this released feature.

May 8, 2023 6:24 PM in response to Shari2s

To turn off the feature, go to settings, General, Software update, automatic updates. Pressing auto updates, that opens a new screen of choices and at bottom is Security Responses & Systems Files. You can turn that off. Not a good idea.

The benefit is that as Apple finds dangers, they will push the protection codes instead of you waiting for the next iOS update.

Rapid security response update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.