Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Capture Mini Dv

Need help. Im trying to capture footage from a Mini DV. I have all of the adapters to go from firewire to thunderbolt, but my Mac still won't recognize the camcorder. It's a Samsung Camcorder SCD5000.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 9, 2023 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 7:23 AM

This camcorder uses Firewire. Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters exist from Apple that support Firewire 800 (IEEE 1394b) which can be linked to USB-C as well:

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple for 2016 and newer Macs links to

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple and then you need IEEE 1394b to your camera adapter which typically is IEEE 1394a 4 pin.

You could contact Samsung to see if they have a USB-C adapter for their camera. Daisy chaining like I describe can work, but it isn't ideal as power may not be sufficient depending on the camera and the computer.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2023 7:23 AM in response to saladinofnewark

This camcorder uses Firewire. Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters exist from Apple that support Firewire 800 (IEEE 1394b) which can be linked to USB-C as well:

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple for 2016 and newer Macs links to

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple and then you need IEEE 1394b to your camera adapter which typically is IEEE 1394a 4 pin.

You could contact Samsung to see if they have a USB-C adapter for their camera. Daisy chaining like I describe can work, but it isn't ideal as power may not be sufficient depending on the camera and the computer.

Capture Mini Dv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.